If you are looking for a suitable job in the medical profession, you can pursue a course on Physiotherapy. A short-term diploma course in Physiotherapy can help in getting a proper job. This course falls under the category of allied healthcare education. The main focus of course is to develop allied healthcare workers in this field. The other name of this course is physical therapy. The physiotherapy course comes under rehabilitative medicine. It mainly aims at the biological activities of the body. If you are unable to walk or move easily, you need to depend upon a physiotherapist who can help in the best possible manner by prescribing and conducting some exercises.
The job of a physiotherapist is crucial in the sense that they are engaged with the patient’s movement. The movement of the body becomes restricted in case of any physical discomfort and issues. In this situation, immediate treatment and relief are required. If you have an old aged member in your family, you can easily understand the importance of a physiotherapist.
A physiotherapist is well-versed in this field. He can assist in the smooth movement of the body muscles and bones. A Diploma in physiotherapy can be pursued after completing the 10+2 from science stream. During this course, you will be directed and assisted in the process of treating a patient who is suffering from various types of disabilities. This course is much attractive as you can gain a lot of information about the body parts. You can conduct some simple exercises to keep the body fit and fine.
Table of Contents
DPT Course Scope
If you are interested in making your career with Diploma in Physiotherapy, you should proceed because it comes with lot of good prospects. After completing this two-year course, you can get a job as a physiotherapist in any hospital and clinic. They give decent salary to the professionals. You can also learn and gain a lot of knowledge after joining the hospital and clinic. Many rehabilitation centers always look for an experienced physiotherapist. If you wish, you can join such centers to treat the patients and give them proper assistance. You can also gather good experience from this course.
Apart from all this, you can also open your clinic where you will get a chance to serve the patients in the best possible manner. It is also found that many gyms, sports, and fitness centers also look for physiotherapists. You can also join them to get better exposure. The scope of the DPT course is vast and exciting. You can make an excellent career with this course. It can fetch you both money and prestige. If you are passionate about serving people, you should move ahead with this profession.
Skills required for the DPT course:
You should have specific skills that can make you popular in this field. Let us discuss some of the relevant skills required in this field. Through this discussion, you can learn about the course in a better way.
- You should have better communication skills. It is better if you have inter-personal skills. This will help to get in touch with the patients quickly. This is why it is good if you are strong in English. It would help if you also were a good listener.
- It would help if you held the ability to give good instructions to the team. You may be required to handle or direct a team.
- You must have a better experience of handling the medical equipment and gadgets.
- The main thing required is you should have the power to handle the health issues of the patients. You have to deal with a lot of patients. They may be having different types of health problems. You should have the patience to listen to them and deal with the situation.
- It would help if you tried to stay updated about the latest developments and improvements in this field. This is only possible when you will read various books and journals that are related to this subject. You can get all the latest developments about the issue from many online sites and books that are written on this matter. In the present time, it is much easier with the help of smartphones. You can stay in touch with all recent inventions and developments.
Course fee for the BPT course:
The main thing depends upon the type of college you are choosing. Reports have revealed that the average cost of the course varies from INR 10,000 to INR 80,000. You can choose a suitable college. If required, you can also take an educational loan for the course. You can repay it after getting a job. This is a convenient and best option for the candidates.
Eligibility criteria for BPT course:
In this part, you will know about the eligibility criteria required for getting admission to this course. It is found that the mode of entry to DPT and BPT courses is similar. It depends upon the candidate selecting the course. In many colleges, prior portfolio or work experience is given particular preference. Those candidates are given much more importance than the freshers. Let us move to the central part of the discussion.
- To get admission to this course, you must pass or complete 10+2 from any recognized university or institution. You have to give the 12th standard with a science background. Students from arts and commerce are not eligible for this course.
- You have to score minimum of 45% marks in each subject like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology. You will entertain no student below this mark.
- It would help if you prepared yourself for the entrance examination that many colleges conduct. To get admission to these colleges, you have to qualify for the test. Most of the tests are taken with multiple-choice questions. Please take coaching for cracking the examination.
- You should prepare nicely because many colleges also conduct personal interviews with the candidates. It is taken by the reputed professors and faculties of the college.
Exams for BPT course:
You must know that the DPT course is for two years. You have to qualify for all the exams during this two years duration. The examination is of 100 marks, and the time is 3 hours. It would help if you secured a minimum percentage of marks to qualify for the exam. You have to prepare for the internal assessment, which are 25 marks. The internal evaluation will be present in both years.
However, in the last year, you have to do an internship program from any recognized place. This is mandatory and essential for this course. The practical portion of the exam is much exciting and wonderful. During each year’s exam, you have to perform the registration process. You can do it through online and offline mode. In each year of the course and during the exam you have to pay a certain amount.
Exam centers of the DPT course:
You will get exam centers for DPT courses almost in all the cities of India. All the major cities of India like Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Kolkata, and Chandigarh. If you are from nearby states of these cities, you can come and appear before the exam. The exam centers are well-equipped with modern facilities and equipment. You can occur in a hassle-free manner for the exam.
Syllabus for the DPT course:
Let us have a glimpse of the syllabus of the course. This will give you a clear idea about the pattern of subjects that are included in the study.
- Introduction to Physiotherapy
- Pathology and Microbiology-Elemental. Biochemistry
- Elemental nursing
- First Aid
- Nutrition and Sanitation
- Hygiene and Sanitation
- Anatomy and Physiology as relevant to physiotherapy
- Disaster Management
- Surgical and Medical nursing
- Elementary Pharmacology
- Human relations
- Community health nursing and communicable diseases
- Exercise Therapy
- Clinical observation
- General Medicine and surgery
- Sport science and Medicine
- Rehabilitation science
- Massage manipulation and physical therapy
- Management of Medical and Surgical emergencies
- Medical subjects
- Elementary physics and minor crafts
- Physics of heat and heat therapy
- Physics of light and light therapy
- Physics of electricity and electrotherapy
- Neurology condition in physiotherapy
- Exercise therapy
- Occupational therapy
The two-year course on Diploma in Physiotherapy is vast and holds some essential subjects.
Career opportunities for the DPT graduates:
If you complete the course, you can gain a lot of knowledge. On the other side, you will have vast options. You can choose the preferred one. Let us discuss some of the prospects of this career.
- As a physiotherapist, you will get a job in any private hospitals and clinics with a decent salary. This will open wide exposure before you. You can gain a lot of experience in this field. Many private hospitals always look for an experienced physiotherapist.
- On the other hand, you can open your clinics to give the best service to the patients. If you open your clinic, you are independent and serve the work quickly.
- Many times, you can also get an excellent job in gym and fitness centers. These are the places that always prefer to keep a physiotherapist. They can help you in case of accidents.
- If you want, you can also work in sports centers. A close relation exists between a player and a physiotherapist. If you get any injury on the field or while playing, the physiotherapist can give you immediate relief. It is great exposure.
- You can also join as a physiotherapist in the Defense department. Through this profession, you can treat the injured army men.
DPT institutes in India:
Let us come across some of the best and premier DPT institutes of India. You will get many institutes, but it is better to get admission to the best ones.
- Assam Down Town University (Guwahati)
- Christian Medical College (Vellore)
- Madras Medical College (Chennai)
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute (Chennai)
- NIMS University (Jaipur)
- Marwadi University (Rajkot)
- KLE University
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (New Delhi)
- Lovely Professional University (Noida)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Diploma in Physiotherapy?
It is a course that offers a specialist degree in clinical nursing. You can pursue this course after completing the 10+2 level. You need to be from a science background. The two-year course can give you vast knowledge about medical and physiotherapy part. It is an exciting subject.
- What are the qualifications required to pursue this course?
You must have some educational qualifications to pursue this course. The first one is you have to pass 10+2 level from a reputed board. It would help if you need to score 45% marks in the science stream with subjects like Biology, chemistry, and Maths. These are the mandatory subjects.
- What is the admission process of this course?
Most colleges select candidates based on their performance in the 10+2 level. You have to fill the application form by providing all the detailed educational qualifications. However, in some cases, an admission test is conducted to select the test. It is also called as the screening test. If you qualify for the test, you can study in a reputed college.
- What is the course fee?
The course fee ranges from 10,000/- to 50,000/- depending on the type of college you are selecting. Most Government colleges charge fewer amounts for the course. You cannot afford the cost of the course; you can take admission to the Government College. They have proper infrastructure and facilities.
- What are the main subjects that come under this course?
You must know about the subjects that come under this course. However, some of the common subjects are Psychology, Gynaecology, computer training, general psychology, clinical pathology, applied pathology, and many other subjects. Each of these subjects is useful and can provide you with a better knowledge of the course. You can try this course for a better future.
- What are the job prospects of this course?
This course can open comprehensive options for you. You can get a chance to work in rehabilitation centers, pharma industries, colleges and universities, health institutions, and sometimes in Orthopaedic centers. If you want, you can also open your clinic to give better service to the patients. Through this, you can gain better knowledge.
- What is the average salary of a physiotherapist?
The average salary of a physiotherapist varies from 2.50 Lakhs to 4.50 Lakhs. It may increase with your experience and knowledge. If you become an experienced physiotherapist, you can earn much more. Sky is your limit. There will be no limit in your earnings.