When it comes to the selection of a reliable job field that also triggers your passion then there is nothing better than being an Astrophysicist. Completing your studies in astronomy to follow your passion seems motivating but is it that easy? Well, there are many things that you must take into consideration. The struggle part is much more intimidating and you must learn so many things to get started.
It is a four years course and after completion, you will be able to choose between a wide range of field option. The objective of being an Astrophysicist is all about stars and moons. But it also consists of other parts like the position of planets, how they move and more. You can opt for an astrophysics course and start studying in-depth to become an Astrophysicist.
What is Astrophysics?
Astrophysics is a sub-domain of the science field that introduces the rules of chemistry and physics to explain the origin of stars, galaxies, galaxies, planets, and other objects in the universe. It includes two different part of science. The first is astronomy and the second is Cosmology. A course in Astrophysics taught the various physical theories.
What is the basic work of an Astrophysicist?
Firstly, you need to understand the basic concepts of Physics and chemistry also have fantastic observation skill. So basically, an astrophysicist needs to predict the entire life circle and death of the celestial body.
An Astrophysics course can be pursued at the diploma level, postgraduate level, and undergraduate level. In this program, the student learns the basic concepts of Physics. Moreover, the fundamentals principles of physics which are used in the field of astronomy can be taught in this course.
If you want to be an Astrophysicist then you must meet several criteria. Choosing a well-known institution can provide the impressive benefits that you will avail yourself of after completion of your studies. To begin, you need the below-mentioned things –
- The student must have a 12th pass degree from a well-known or recognized board.
- Candidates must have completed studies with Mathematics and Physics subject in their 10+2.
- Student must have acquired more than 50% aggregate to get selected in a reputed institution.
- There are entrance exam tests based on the college or institution that you are choosing so far.
Once you meet these needs, you can easily apply for the course. Make sure that you consider an institution or college that has an incredible history of successful students.
Top Entrance exams
To get selected in a top college, you must sit in an entrance exam and pass it. The popular entrance exams that are conducted throughout the country for 10+2 students are as follow –
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (UCAA):
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA)
- Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
- Autonomous Research Institutes (ARI)
- Joint Astronomy Programme (JAP)
Passing any other entrance exam from the mentioned one is typical and it would require a study of additional subjects also. Mostly the syllabus is from 10+2 subjects but studying in detail is necessary for most of these exams.
Top Astrophysicist institution to choose in India
Choosing an institution might be tough based on the type of courses. You can be astrophysics in several ways and choosing the field along with the right college helps in many ways. The below mentioned are a top institution that you can take into consideration –
- Punjabi University
- Osmania University
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Mahatma Gandhi University
- Indian Institute of Science
Once you select the college from the list, the chances of getting selected increases. Some of these colleges require you to pass their entrance exam test. A top institution requires merit and a name in the cut-off list to get selected. These are the private universities that we mentioned in the list. But you can also consider a government-run institution for a better selection rate.
Top Government-Run Institution for Astrophysics
Below mentioned are some of the most preferred government-run institution that offers better placement rate and an impressive salary after graduation or post-graduation.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Chennai
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)- Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)- Guwahati
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) –Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)- Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)- Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – New, Delhi
- National Institute of Technology (NIT)- Tiruchirappalli
Based on the institution or university you are choosing; the course fees vary. There are other aspects like the subjects you will be choosing. Once you select a reputed university, you can find that the fees are between 30,000 INR to 50,000 INR per semester. However, if you choose private institutions then the fees might go up to 2 lakh per annum.
An engineer who completed studies in aeronautics and Chooses Astrophysicist as a career option can expect impressive salary packages. The salary factor varies based on the type of course you had. The basic salary of an Astrophysicist is between 5 lakhs to 8 lakh per annum at the start. However, salary increases every few months and it became more than 10 lakh per annum after one year.
The admission process depends on two basic factors, if you are willing to get admission to a top-institution then you can consider the below-mentioned options –
- Based on Merit List – Some of the colleges prefer taking admission based on the merit list. Students who obtained merit in the qualifying exams can easily get enrolled in most institutions.
- Based on the Entrance Exam – You must sit in the entrance exam conducted by the institution. In this exam, if you score marks above cut-off then you are selected. On the other hand, these entrance exams are conducted throughout the country.
These two methods are mostly preferred by institutions to figure out the eligible candidate for the astrophysics course.
Students will learn about astronomy subjects in detail while pursuing this course. The best part is, most subjects from 10+2 continue and they go deep into the working of each system. If you have an interest in physics or mathematics then you will get to learn about all those subjects. The syllabus for an astrophysicist is –
- Properties of Matter
- Laboratory Work
- Stars & Planets, Galaxies & Universe
- Special Relativity
- Oscillations and Waves
- Practical Laboratory
- Quantum Mechanics
- Thermal Physics
- Optics and Quantum Mechanics
- High Energy Astrophysics
These are the popular subjects that most institutions prefer. There are some additional subjects that you might have to read during this course.
The benefit of pursuing Astrophysics
Being an astrophysicist provides you with a ton of amazing benefits than doing any other course. If you have a keen interest in moons and stars then this is the best field to choose. The key advantage like being able to explore the world differently is the primary advantage you can avail yourself.
The other advantages are regarding the high salary. This job field is offering an excellent salary package and the scope is pretty good. There are very less students pursuing astrophysics that’s why the demand for a new candidate is always high. Getting a top-notch college seems like an easy thing once you pursue this course.
On the other hand, salary is not the only factor. The job options throughout the country are increasing and you can easily get a job in other countries also. In case you want to move to a different country then it would be a great choice to choose astrophysics.
Is there any scholarship for Astrophysics candidates?
Yes, there is a scholarship system that you can avail but it is limited to two criteria.
- There is a state government eligibility scheme that you can avail yourself of with ease. This scheme is mainly for reserved students belong to backward castes and economically weaker students.
- Students who got their name on the merit list are eligible for the scholarship. Institutions decide their merit list cut0off so that they can get excellent students in their institute.
These two categories get scholarship and relaxation in fees. There is a reservation quota for many students that reduce the cut-off mark also.
Career Options after Completing Astrophysics
Plenty of career options open for students who have completed their astrophysics study. Apart from being an astrophysicist, you can consider options like –
- Stellar Astronomers
- Observational Astronomers
- Solar Astronomers
- Research Assistants
All these job profiles option impressive salary packages and achieving a successful career in these field in easy at the same time. Make sure that you choose the right institution to increase your chances of becoming an astrophysicist.
To wrap up, you can find that a top college plays an important role in this field. Be clear whether you want to complete studies in aeronautics or any other field because the salary changes for the type of course. If you get a diploma then you will be getting less salary as compared to an engineer Astrophysicist. We hope that you get to choose the desired field and have a great career. Always try to figure out the challenges as early as possible to prepare yourself for the future.
Table of Contents
- What is Astrophysics?
- What is the basic work of an Astrophysicist?
- Eligibility Criteria
- Top Entrance exams
- Top Astrophysicist institution to choose in India
- Top Government-Run Institution for Astrophysics
- Course Fee
- Salary packages
- Admission process
- The benefit of pursuing Astrophysics
- Is there any scholarship for Astrophysics candidates?
- Career Options after Completing Astrophysics