The Hospitality Industry is related to the application of principles of management in the field of tourism. In today’s world, professional life in hospitality is rapidly expanding, and it now encompasses a wide range of fields like travel, tourism, the hotel industry, catering, household chores, and other related fields.
The hospitality course does not only consist of classroom instruction, but also provides the student with the opportunity to gain practical experience in a variety of areas like planning, facility, housekeeping, catering, front desk operation, and more. Besides sales and marketing, students can also learn about management of human resources, hotel and restaurant law, financial management, and property management, among other things, through the Hospitality Management program.
Table of Contents
- Eligibility criteria
- Courses under hospitality course
- B.Sc in Hotel Administration & Hospitality – 3 Years
- BBA in Travel & Tourism & Hospitality – 3 Years
- Hospitality Management in MBA- 2 Years
- M.Sc Hospitality Management & Tourism – 2 Years
- MBA Hospitality
- Specializations Offered under Hospitality Courses
- Duration of hospitality course
- Fees for hospitality diploma course
- Salary for hospitality professionals
- Top colleges for hospitality courses
- Course Subjects
- BSc in Hospitality & Hotel Administration
- BBA in Hospitality, Travel & Tourism Syllabus
- Job Scope
- Sustainability of hospitality course
- Job profiles
- Jobs with description & their salary
- Scope of Hospitality course in India & Abroad
A professional course in hospitality deals with topics such as accounts management, customer service, resort management, hotel management, and travel/tour management.
- To apply for Hospitality Management, candidates must have completed their 10+2 educational level from a recognized board or university, or have earned a Bachelor’s degree, depending on the type of course being offered.
- Students need to enroll in hospitality colleges following the completion of the counseling round which is held following the completion of the relevant entrance examinations
- They can take part in entrance exams such as the CET, MAH-B.HMCT, UPSEE BHMCT, IIHM eCHAT, AIMA UGAT, NCHMCT JEE, and others, which will help them secure their place in the program.
Courses under hospitality course
There are a variety of courses available under the umbrella term of Hospitality, from which students can choose to enroll and begin their careers in the field.
B.Sc in Hotel Administration & Hospitality – 3 Years
A B.Sc in Hotel and Hospitality Administration is an excellent choice for students who want to learn more about hospitality and the various fields that fall under it, such as planning an event, customer service, front desk management, accounting, sales, and other areas of study. To be considered for admission, students must complete their XII qualifying examination as well as obtain a passing score on the entrance examination.
BBA in Travel & Tourism & Hospitality – 3 Years
The Bachelor of Business Administration in Travel, Tourism, and Hospitality will enable students to gain advanced specialization in the hospitality, travel, and tourism industries. Through this three-year program, students can learn further about front desk work, holiday consulting, tour operation, tour planning, sales, marketing, housekeeping, and other related topics. Admissions are made based on an entrance examination, and students must have completed their 10+2 with the required minimum marks to be considered.
Hospitality Management in MBA- 2 Years
Undergraduate students who want to improve their managerial, hospitality, and catering abilities can apply for a Masters’s in business administration in the Hospitality Management program. Students who complete this course will be in a better position to secure positions in the hospitality industry. Students must be grads in any field to be considered for admission, but a Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality is preferred.
M.Sc Hospitality Management & Tourism – 2 Years
Those who are interested in applying for a course where the emphasis is placed on both tourism and hospitality will find that the M.Sc Hospitality and Tourism Management program is the best option. The two-year postgraduate course is designed to provide students with a thorough understanding of the tourism industry, as well as the skills necessary for management, customer service, and the long-term viability of the domain.
MBA Hospitality is a program designed for students who do not come from hospitality or management backgrounds but who wish to pursue a career. This two-year postgraduate course will assist students in honing their skills in attending delegates and providing excellent customer service. Students can be from any ground and at any stage of their undergraduate studies to enroll in this course.
Specializations Offered under Hospitality Courses
- Hospitality Finance
- Luxury Hospitality
- Hospitality Marketing
- Event Management
- Tourism Management
Duration of hospitality course
It usually takes three years to complete, with each year categorized into 6 semesters. It is typically taught as a full-time time management course.
Fees for hospitality diploma course
The average fees for a Diploma in Hospitality program range between INR 15,000 & 2 Lacs, with programs lasting anywhere from three months to three years
Salary for hospitality professionals
Depending on the individual’s knowledge, experience, and skill set, the yearly pay for successful hospitality experts can range between INR 3 and 20 lacs and continues to increase. Students in the hospitality industry are also encouraged to pursue entrepreneurship, resulting in the establishment of their food chains and hotels.
Top colleges for hospitality courses
|IHM||Delhi||2.4 LPA INR|
|IHM||Mumbai||6.0 LPA INR|
|IHM||Bangalore||4.7 LPA INR|
|IHM||Hyderabad||2.4 LPA INR|
The topics covered in the syllabus mentioned below are general and may differ from one institute to another.
BSc in Hospitality & Hotel Administration
- I accommodation operations
- I front office
- Food beverage service
- Food production
- Hotel engineering
- Principle of Food science
- II accommodation operations
- II front office
- II food beverage service
- II food production
- Tourism foundation course
- Tourism management
- Human resource management
- English Communication skill
- Research methodology
- Hotel accountancy
- Food safety & quality
- Operations of Food beverage service
- Front office operations
- Food production operations
- Food & beverage controls
- Accommodation operations
- Tourism marketing
- Strategic management
- Financial management
- I Front office management
- I Advanced food & beverage operation
- Food production operation
- I Accommodation management
- Research project
- Research project
- Facility planning
- Food & beverage management
- II Front office management
- II Accommodation management
- II Advanced food & beverage operation
- II food production operation
BBA in Hospitality, Travel & Tourism Syllabus
- Communicative English
- I business communication
- Business Mathematics
- IT- I Fundamentals
- Destination Mapping
- Cost Accounting & business in tourism
- Managerial Economics
- Principles of Organization Behaviour & Management
- Management Concepts & Practices
- Tourism science
- Travel & Tourism basics
- Hospitality basics
- Human Resource Management
- Environmental Science
- IT- II fundamentals
- Destination Mapping
- II- business communication
- Applied Macro Economics
- Cultural Tourism
- Computer apps
- Organizational Behaviour
- Financial Management
- Business Communication
- Adventure & Wildlife Tourism
- Management of front office
- I professional development
- Presentation Skills & personality development
- Hospitality Marketing & Tourism
- Tourism Impacts
- Hospitality & Tourism – Total Quality Management
- Marketing Management
- Tourism & Hospitality Marketing innovations
- GDS, Ticketing & airlines operation
- Methods of business research
- Tourism Event Management
- Hotel Management
- Hygiene & safety
- Human Resource Management
- Services Marketing
- 8 weeks internship
- Tourism resources
- Travel writing
- Tourism Research Methodology
- Property Management Systems
- II professional development
- Indian tourism resources
- Business values & ethics
- Tourism issues & trends
- Cargo Management
- Product Development Management & tour operation
- Tourism & Hospitality Laws
- III professional development
- International Travel and Tourism
- Airline Ticketing & ICT- elective I
- Tourism & Hospitality strategic management
- Adventure Tourism & wellness- elective I
- Study tour/project reports
- Surface Transport Operation
- Tourism Development & Government Policy 1
- Tourism Laws
- Professional Development-IV
- International Marketing
- Tour operations & Travel Agency
- Air Cargo Management- elective III
- Entrepreneurship & Small Business
- Environmental Tourism
- Entrepreneurship Tourism Development
- Dissertation Work
- Business Environment
There are numerous employment opportunities available in a variety of industries, including airlines, hospitality, the food industry, and resort management, among others. Opportunities exist in airline flight chefs, on-board flight assistance, navy, fast food places, cruise ship, and hospital catering, among other places of employment.
This course serves as a foundation for further study in this field, leading to advanced degrees such as an MA, MBA, M.Phil., or Ph.D. to improve one’s job prospects. In many universities and colleges, teaching is indeed a financially rewarding career path.
The following are examples of the kinds of roles that can be played:-
- Lecturer in an institute of hotel management
- Manager at a night hotel
- Account Manager
- Assistant Manager
- Manager in banquet booking
- Manager for hotel booking
- Manager for Hotel Maintenance
- Hotel Manager
- Reservations Manager
- Revenue Manager
- Sales Manager
- Security Manager
- Hotel Management Trainee
Sustainability of hospitality course
A pleasing personality, a cheerful attitude in the face of criticism, a great deal of patience, the ability to deal with people well, good communication skills, good interpersonal and organizational skills, and the willingness to work at odd hours are all required for success in this field.
It is necessary to have a strong sense of commitment and self-discipline. It is necessary to be courteous, cooperative, and polite to guests. Cultural, social, environmental, technological, and political factors should be taken into consideration when developing the overall strategy and management of the hotel industry. Knowing several various languages would be beneficial in this situation.
Upon completion of this course, job and career opportunities in a variety of fields within the hospitality industry or in areas where management of food is still a priority are made available. Whether it’s the government, airlines, railroads, businesses, offices, hotels, or shopping malls, the need for food experts can be found everywhere.
After finishing the program, students can work as managers, chefs, and other culinary professionals in hotels and food craft institutes, earning salaries ranging from 3 to 10 lakh rupees depending on their abilities.
Jobs with description & their salary
General Managers are responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of hospitality, business unit, or other organization. They make certain that their employees’ work is done smoothly and efficiently while also focusing on their customers.
Average salary- 5 lacs
They are in charge of modifying menus & making changes as needed to meet the needs of the organization. They make certain that the kitchen is well-stocked with all of the items necessary for the week.
Salary- 20 lacs
Managers on the job are held accountable for ensuring that their employees provide high-quality services to their customers. They make certain that their customers are pleased and fulfilled, and they also solicit feedback to suggest necessary changes.
Salary- 4.5 lacs
Scope of Hospitality course in India & Abroad
Hospitality Industry is among the newest fields to emerge in today’s business environment. Many students choose a professional life in hospitality management because the employment opportunities in India and abroad are extremely good. As soon as they have completed their undergrad in tourism and hospitality, students can begin applying for top hospitality positions. They can also pursue postgraduate studies and a specialization that will permit them to pursue their careers in a specific field of profession.
If they do not wish to work in the field of management after completing their studies, graduates can pursue a career in the teaching field after graduation. Because of the tourism industry, graduates in hospitality management are also in high demand in foreign countries, where the demand for customer service specialists is extremely high.