The world of animation is really big and it is one of the booming industries in India and across the world. After watching some of the best animated movies Ice Age, Angry Birds, Incredibles, and many other animated movies, many of you must have planned to do something like that. It is not a simple task to create such wonderful movies and that is the job of an animator. There is a lot of scope for good employment and a chance to make the best career.
If you are someone is obsessed with such wonderful characters and have something similar in your mind for designing, then an animation course is the best choice. You have several courses that offer you knowledge and training in animation. If you wish to know more about the course before you get started with it, then this is the right place. Here you will be able to know more about this course in animation and how to become an animator in India.
Who is an Animator?
If you have ever watched any animated movie, then you will have an idea about who is an animator. All the characters and the emotions between the characters are created with the help of Animation. If you master a course in Animation, then you will be called as the animator. You will have to work really hard to become an Animator. You need to be very creative to learn the course of animation or to master it. It is not easy to become successful as an Animator.
There are many giants who are outsourcing the animation work and hence there are a lot of chances that you will be able to get a chance to work with some of the top companies in the world. So, continue reading the article if you wish to make a very good career in the Animation world. The chances of getting a job of your choice are really high.
The eligibility criteria for becoming an Animator are very important for you to know. This information will help you decide whether this course is for you or not. So, the requirements that you will have to meet if you wish to take up any animation course are as follows:
- If you wish to take up a certification course in Animation, then candidates with any qualification will be able to get admission into this course. But it is very important that you have completed your 10th standard at least. You should have scored good marks in your higher secondary education.
- But if you are taking up any diploma or bachelor’s degree in Animation, then you should make sure that you have completed your 12th standard for any good college or institution. You should have scored at least 50 percent marks in your 12th
So, if you think, you meet all the eligibility criteria that is listed above, then you can pick up any course that is listed below. Each course is for a different duration and hence you should check out the details well before you apply for it. One of the best things about the animation courses are they do not have any entrance test. You can directly to the college or institute for admission.
Some of the best courses for becoming an Animator:
When you have decided to become an Animator in India, it is now time to pick the best course. The best thing about this animation course, you have several options to select from as there are so many different courses available in India. So, here we have listed some of the best courses for you, which helps you in deciding which is the best one for you. The list of best courses in Animation is:
- B.Des in Animation – 3 years
- B.Sc. in Animation and Gaming – 3 years
- B.Sc. in Animation and VFX – 3 years
- B.Sc. in Animation – 3 years
- BA in Animation & Multimedia – 3 years
- BA in Animation and CG Arts – 3 years
- BA in Animation and Graphic Design – 3 years
- BA in Digital Filmmaking and Animation – 3 years
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Animation, Graphics, and Web Design – 3 years
- Bachelor of Visual Arts (Animation) – 3 years
- Certificate in 2D Animation – 3 to 6 months
- Certificate in 3D Animation – 3 to 6 months
- Certificate in CG Arts – 3 to 6 months
- Certificate in Editing, Mixing and Post Production Works – 6 months
- Certificate in VFX – 3 to 6 months
- Diploma in 2D Animation – 1 year
- Diploma in 3D Animation – 1 year
- Diploma in Animation and Filmmaking – 1 to 2 years
- Diploma in Animation and VFX – 1 year
- Diploma in Animation, Video Editing and Post Production work – 1 to 2 years
- Diploma in CG Animation – 6 months
- Diploma in Digital Animation – 1 year
- Diploma in VFX – 6 months
So, as you can see you have courses from three months to three years as well. You will have to decide the right course based on your education qualification, your other skills and your interest as well. Different course will need a different educational qualification and hence you need to be very careful about it.
After you have completed one of the courses in Animation and become an animator, you will be able to receive a number of job opportunities. It is your interest that can help you pick one good job offer as there are several options available for you. Some of the most common job opportunities that you will receive are:
Beginner Animator: At this stage, you will just start learning from your seniors and get the complete practical knowledge about animation.
Character Animators: They are responsible for adding motion to the characters or life to them. If you are good in stop motion animation and traditional animation, you will be able to excel in Character animation.
Background Artist Animator: Being a background artist animator, you will be responsible for painting the background of all the characters in whatever project you are working.
Apart from that, you can also get job opportunities like Modeller, Layout Artist, Special Effect Artist and Story Board Artist.
Areas of Employment:
There are many areas where you can receive employment opportunities as there is a very high demand for the Animators in India and also in other parts of the world. From gaming industries to entertainment, animators are required everywhere. So, here are some of the main areas of employment for those who complete the animation course:
Film Industry: One of the most common areas of employment is Film Industry. Do you have any idea about how many animators are required to make one good animated movie? They need more than 500 people and so there are more chances that you get an opportunity in the film industry.
Advertising Industry: Not just movies but you can also find some special effects in advertisements as well. So, there is a need of animators in the advertising industry as well.
Gaming industries: This is one of the most common area of employment after film industry. You will be required for designing the games. Computer games are the latest trend and without a proper animator it will not be possible to design any games.
E-Learning Industry: The E-Learning industry is getting more and more popular with time. There are many people who are opting for e-learning, especially for kids and those who wish to learn something new from the comfort of their homes. Animation is playing a very important role in the E-learning as animated classes are much easy and attractive for the kids to learn. So, you have a good chance of getting hired in an e-learning institute as well.
Business: You can easily start an animation institute of your own. You can provide animation services and also provide classes to those who wish to learn animation course. That way you will be able to earn quite a good income. This is a quite good option for those who wish to start an animation institute of their own.
Salary is one of the most important things that everyone should know when they are opting for the animation course and wish to become a good animator. The salary that you will be able to earn per month will also keep you encouraging about learning the right course and getting the right job. There are many job roles that you will be able to play when you finish any course in animation. So, your salary will also differ based on what your role is. If you get hired as a 2D or 3D animator, then you can start you salary at Rs 3,00,000 per annum and it can reach up Rs 20,00,000 per annum. If you get hired as a story based artist, then you can start at Rs 3,00,000 per annum and it can go up to Rs 10,00,000 per annum based on your skills and experience. A character animator will be able to earn Rs 1,50,000 per annum at the starting, but with experience you will be able to earn Rs 7,20,000 per annum, which is a quite good salary. If you choose to become a background artist, then you start your earnings from Rs 1,50,000. You can reach Rs 6,00,000 when you gain some good experience in this field.
Some of the best companies in India that hire Animators:
Here are some of the best companies from which you will receive job offers if you are really good at whatever you do:
- Anibrain, Pune
- Crest Animation Studios, Mumbai
- Maya Entertainment Limited
- Nipuna Services (Chennai – Headquarters)
- Padmalaya Telefilms, Hyderabad
- Pentamedia Graphics, Chennai
- Reliance Media Companies Ltd, Mumbai
- Toonz Animation Limited, Trivandrum – Kerala
- UTV Toonz, Mumbai
Some of the best colleges in India that offer you Animation course:
Once you have enough information about the course, it is now time for you to gather some information about the best colleges. With so many courses, it is already a confusing task for many of you to choose the right course. Now, in India, there are so many different colleges and institutes that offer courses related to animation. That makes the job much tougher for you to pick one good college. So, if you are not sure which is the right college or institute for you, then check out the below list. Here are some of the colleges that you can consider:
- Andhra Loyola College, Vijayawada
- Whistling Woods International, Mumbai
- Maeer’s MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Brainware University, Kolkata
- Unitedworld Institute of Design, Gandhinagar
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts, New Delhi & Cochin
- Amity University, Lucknow
- Apeejay Institute of Design, South Delhi
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Karnavati University, Gandhinagar
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Navi
- National Institute of Design, Bangalore
- Arena Animation, Bangalore
- VIDM Institute of Design and Management, New Delhi
- Footwear Design and Development Institute, Noida
So, this was our list of some of the best institutes and colleges in India. You can find even more options near to you. Compare all of them and check out their official website before you decide which is the best college of you for becoming an Animator in India.
This was some of the very useful information about how to become an Animator in India. The Animation industry is global and so you will be able to start your career in any part of the world. That means the number of offers that can be receive or the number of jobs that you can apply for are huge. If you are someone who is creative enough, then Animator is a perfect job for you. But one of the most common problems that you may face as an Animator is excessive working hours, else it is a perfect job. So, gather all the information and check out whether Animator is perfect for you or not.
Rahul Kumar is a passionate educator, writer, and subject matter expert in the field of education and professional development. As an author on CoursesXpert, Rahul Kumar’s articles cover a wide range of topics, from various courses, educational and career guidance.