There is tremendous growth in the hospitality and tourism industry in recent times, especially in countries like India. India is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, and there are a lot of hotels as well. When it comes to providing the best hospitality, hotels play a very important role. With so many hotels around, there is a lot of demand for hotel management professionals. Among so many professionals, the role of a hotel manager is very vital. There are many important roles that a hotel manager plays, and he is responsible for managing all the hotel management staff.
There are many students who complete their hotel management course and become hotel managers. It requires a lot of skills to become a hotel manager. If you are someone who wants to become a hotel manager, then here are some details for you. This is some useful information that can help you in making the right choice.
Who is a Hotel Manager?
A hotel manager will be responsible for planning and managing the everyday task of the hotel and also the staff that works in the hotel. Being a hotel manager, they will be responsible for a lot of activities in the hotel like planning events, managing a budget, and also managing the staff. Having good leadership qualities, including communication skills, will be very helpful for you.
A hotel manager will also be responsible for hiring new staff for the hotel. It also includes planning hotel accommodations, budget, and food services as well. It is not going to be an easy task for anyone to become a hotel manager as that requires a lot of skills. You will also need the right educational qualification to become a hotel manager.
It is very important to make sure that you meet certain eligibility criteria when you are planning to become a hotel manager. So, here is what you need to satisfy:
- You should have completed your 10th standard with at least 50 percent marks if you wish to complete a diploma in hotel management.
- If you wish to go for a graduate-level program, then you should have completed your 10+2 with 50 percent marks. This will help you to get admission in a bachelor’s degree line BHM (Bachelor in Hotel Management).
- If you want to make it to a good company at the beginning of your career itself, then you will have to go for MHM (Master in Hotel Management). For getting admission in the master’s course, you will need to secure at least 45 percent marks in your bachelor’s degree.
Once you complete your BHM or MHM course, you will be able to apply for the hotel manager post anywhere in India.
How to become a Hotel Manager:
If you are looking for the best way to become a hotel manager, then here are three different ways to reach your goal. It is not going to be an easy path, but once you reach there, you will have a wonderful career ahead of you.
- Complete your 10th standard with 50 percent marks and enroll yourself in any Diploma course in hotel management. Once you complete this, it is important for you to take up the BHM course if you wish to make a career as a hotel manager. Only a diploma course will not help you become a manager. You can work like other hotel management staff under the hotel manager.
- The next way to become a hotel manager is to complete the 10+2 standard with at least 50 percent. You should complete the course from a recognized college or university. With 10+2, you can directly enroll in the Bachelor in Hotel Management course. That makes it easy for you to become a hotel manager.
- There is another way to become a hotel manager, and that is with the help of a master’s in hotel management. After you complete your bachelor’s degree, you can enroll in the master’s and then complete the course.
You can follow any of these methods to become a hotel manager. Usually, the admission process into the bachelor’s degree or master’s degree is done based on the entrance test. Almost all the states will give admission only if you qualify for the entrance test. But there are also colleges that will help you get admission on a merit basis as well. So, you need to check out the complete admission details from the official website of the college or university into which you wish to get your admission.
Job roles for a hotel manager:
A lot of hard work is required for a candidate to get a job in one of the best industries in India. You will get a number of opportunities and the pay is quite good. So, here are some of the most common job opportunities that you will receive when you become a hotel manager:
- Banquet Manager
- Director of Hotel Operations
- Food and Beverage Manager
- Front Office Manager
- Housekeeping Manager
- Restaurant and Food Service Manager
You will also get many other job opportunities from different sectors, which can be both private and government sectors as well.
When you become a hotel manager by achieving the required qualification, you can apply for the hotel manager post in various sectors like resorts, hotels, retreats, casino hotels, sports resorts, recreation establishments, spa, guest houses, and many other sectors. So, some of the main sectors where there are more chances for you to get placement or job opportunities is:
- Banking and Insurance
- Consulting Firms
- Corporate businesses
- Event Management
- Retail sector
- Travel and tourism
This is just a small list, and you will receive many other opportunities from many different sectors. So, you will have a lot of job opportunities if you complete this course as a hotel manager.
When it comes to taking up any profession, one of the most important things that you should check out is the pay scale. You work or make a career to earn and hence this part is very important for you to know.
The salary of a hotel manager is going to depend on the sector in which you are hired. Like we already mentioned, you will get opportunities in many different sectors. If you are lucky and get hired by a five-star hotel, then your package is going to be high compared to the three-star hotel. It is your education, your college, your experience, and your skills that decide where you need to get placed.
If you are starting your career as a front office manager in a hotel, then you receive Rs 1,40,000 per annum, and that can go up to Rs 9,00,000 per annum. You may be appointed as a Food and beverage manager, then you start with Rs 2,50,000, and you can go up to Rs 17,00,000 as well. If you are a housekeeping manager, then your income per annum is going to be Rs 2,15,000 and can go up to Rs 10,00,000 per annum. For a restaurant and foodservice manager, the starting salary is going to be Rs 2,50,000, and when you gain experience, you can make up to Rs 7,00,000.
The salary depends totally on the company in which you are going to work, and so this is just to give you an idea about how much you will be able to earn once you become a hotel manager.
Best Colleges in India For Hotel Manager Course
It is very important for you to look for the best colleges or universities in India if you wish to make a career as a hotel manager. It is not going to be an easy task, and hence you need to get a quality education for it. Finding a good college or university for your education can be a tough job with so many different options available in India. So, if you are unable to make your choice, then here is a small list of colleges that you can consider:
- Indian Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata
- Institute of Hotel Management Catering & Nutrition, Lucknow
- Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition (IHM), Goa
- Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition (IHM), Kolkata
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition, Shimla
- Institute of Hotel Management, Ahmedabad
- Institute of Hotel Management, Mumbai
- National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT), Noida
- St.Mary’s College, Bangalore
So, these colleges offer you a good education and can also help you make a good career in the future. There are many other colleges in India, and so you can easily find a good college near you.
The subject of hotel management is vast, and there is so much that you need to learn. When you have the right college to get the right education and a few years of experience in a good company, you will be able to earn the best in the industry. You will be able to learn something new and different every single day as you will have to deal with so many different things and people every day. You will also be able to see that there is a development of your communication skills and personality.
So, if you think this is the best career for you and you meet all the eligibility criteria, then you should get started with your preparation today. There will be entrance exams for bachelor’s and master’s degree courses, so you will have to get started with the preparation. All the best for your career as a hotel manager!!!