Geology is an exciting subject that will help to know about the origin and structure of earth. It is with this subject that you will gather information about the planets and other terrestrial bodies. It will be okay if you want to become a geologist. As a geologist, you will examine and study solid earth and rocks. You will be entrusted with predicting about the natural disasters like flood, earthquake and Tsunami. You have to contribute in the field of resource mapping, remote sensing, and other subjects. It is an exciting subject that has ample scopes and options.
You will be engaged with studying and conducting research work on the structure of the earth and its composition. You have to identify and locate the places and locate them in the geological map. Sometimes you may have to prepare and present conferences. You have to do projects on various topics. Understanding and identifying the structure of the rock will be another work that a geologist has to do. You must have a passion for earth. It is a great subject that has gathered good importance in the present time. It would help if you were of the opinion that geology is a challenging and complicated issue. Once you will study and go deep into the subject, you will be the gainer.
Table of Contents
- Educational eligibility becoming a geologist:
- Skills required becoming a geologist:
- Steps to become a Geologist:
- Prospects in Geology subject:
- Specific areas in which a geologist is specialized:
- What are the advantages of this subject?
- What is the primary role of a geologist?
- What are the other qualities and skills you require to become a geologist?
- What is the salary structure of a geologist?
- Subjects of B.sc geology and M.sc in geology:
- Jobs that you can get after studying Geology:
- Top three ways to become a geologist:
- Top Indian Institutes on Geology:
Educational eligibility becoming a geologist:
You have to attain some educational qualifications for becoming a geologist. In the new few lines, you will know about it.
- You have to complete your 10+2 from a recognized board. It is mandatory for this subject. You have to score good marks on this exam.
- You soon have to enroll in a reputed college to pursue B.sc in Geology, Earth science and Environmental science. It is a three-year course.
- However, if you wish, you can opt for M.sc in Geology and Earth science. It is a two-year course. After completing this course, you will get more options in your career.
Skills required becoming a geologist:
In addition to this, you must possess some additional skills and qualities for becoming a geologist.
- You must have good observational skills. It means that you should be able to identify the changes on the earth’s surface.
- You must also hold the capacity to analyze the data and quickly interpret it.
- It would help if you had the power to solve the problems as early as possible.
- You must have the tenacity to work in a team.
- You must also possess good communication skills. It signifies that you should have a good command of the English language.
- You must have passion and love for this subject. If you have a love for this subject, you can make a better career with it.
Steps to become a Geologist:
You have to follow some steps to become a geologist. In the next following lines, you will gather information about how to become a Geologist.
- If you plan to become a Geologist right from the beginning, you have to take subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in 10+2. This will open many avenues and options before you take admission to colleges.
- After completing 10+2, you need to undergo B.sc in Geology and Earth science. Many Indian colleges offer integrated B.sc and M.sc courses. You can opt for it.
- To get a better future, you can also opt for other degrees associated with this subject. However, a doctorate degree is much preferred in this profession. You can make a better future with these degrees.
Prospects in Geology subject:
It will be good to know that you can make a fantastic future with geology. If you complete the geology course, you will get comprehensive options. As a geologist, you have to explore the minerals that are available deep into the earth. Once you complete the course, you can become an oceanographer and a meteorologist. You can sit for the UPSC exams that are conducted for the recruitment of Geologists. If you qualify for the exam, you will get a secured job. Apart from all this, you can get a job in any private sector. Most of the companies look for candidates who have professional degrees in Geology and experience. They are highly paid and given good perks. You can start a promising career in geology. Most of the top Indian Institutes have also started offering these subjects for the students.
You can also sit for the Indian Forest Service Exam or the Civil Service. They can create good options before you. Most of these exams can help you to get a secured job in the best organizations. You will get a reputable position. If you are interested in making a better academic field career, you can join various colleges and Universities as a faculty. It will be the right decision.
Specific areas in which a geologist is specialized:
In this part, you will know about the main areas in which a geologist is technical.
- As a geologist, you must have vast knowledge of Geoscience. It is a subject concerned with the extensive study of geophysical and natural resources of earth like sun, moon, and Earth.
- You must also gather good knowledge on Mineralogy. This will include subjects like mineral deposits, mineral stones, and other precious elements.
- Hydrology is another subject that is also associated with Geology. It deals with the various properties of water and water pollution threats.
- Marine Geology is another subject that is concerned with the study of coastal zones and other things.
- Petrology is a subject that is related to the study and composition of rocks.
- Paleontology is the study of fossils that is observed in geological formations. This study helps in the evolution and construction of plant and animal life.
- You must have heard of seismology. It is all about the formation of the earthquake and analyzing it. All these subjects are related to the study of geology. If you want to become a geologist, you must have proper knowledge about these subjects.
What are the advantages of this subject?
You will have immense advantages while going through this subject. Once you become a specialist in this subject, you can form a good idea about natural disasters and other things. You will know about the source of an earthquake, Tsunami, and similar other disasters. This subject will give you a proper idea of the formation of rocks and several other characteristics of stones. You will feel nice to know about the earth. Thus you should always try to love this subject to understand it in a better manner.
What is the primary role of a geologist?
As a geologist, you have some roles and responsibilities. Let us discuss some of the primary ones.
- You have to study the earth’s structure, composition, and characteristics.
- As a geologist, you have to play a vital role in the cleaning, exploring and preserving the energy.
- You must have the proper knowledge to identify the rocks, fossils, and minerals. They are available in various forms and structures. You have to place them in the best possible manner.
- As a geologist, you have to identify and locate oils and mineral oils.
- You have to work in the laboratories to identify the samples of earth.
What are the other qualities and skills you require to become a geologist?
You must have specific things that can help in becoming a renowned geologist. It is okay if you have sound knowledge of Geographic Information System or GIS. It will help in a better understanding of the subject. You must also have better information on Data analysis. This subject will help you with the latest data and information. You must also try to take training on Microsoft Office. You will get many institutes that will offer this training to the candidates.
What is the salary structure of a geologist?
You must try to know about the salary structure of a geologist. With this information, you can get prior knowledge of the job pattern.
As a fresher, you will get a salary of 3 to 4 lakhs per annum. This is a good thing. However, your salary will increase with your experience and knowledge. You can earn up to 2 lakhs per month once you become a senior. Thus, the prospects are higher and excellent in this field. You can reach the level of success with this subject.
Subjects of B.sc geology and M.sc in geology:
Here you will know of the subjects that are associated with it.
The undergraduate course is for three-year. Let us know about the subjects.
First Year: Structural Geology, Physical Geology and Geomorphology, Minerology, Crystallography, and Mineral Optics.
Second Year: Stratigraphy, Paleontology, Petrology I and Petrology II.
Third year: Exploration Geology and Remote Sensing, Economic Geology, Hydrogeology and Environmental Geology, Engineering geology, and Mining Geology.
Thus, these are the subjects that are included in the Undergraduate course of Geology.
At the post-graduate level, you will have to learn about some more subjects. The post-graduate course is for two years. It is divided into four semesters.
1st Semester: sedimentary Petrology, metamorphic petrology, igneous petrology, Mineralogy, optics and Crystallography.
2nd semester: Economic Geology, structural geology and geo-technonics, remote sensing and geomorphology, Stratigraphy and Paleontology.
3rd semester: geochemistry, geophysics and exploration methods, hydrogeology, You will get one optional subject in this semester. These are Geoinformatic, mining geology, gemology and Industrial mineralogy, Marine geology.
4th semester: environmental geology, natural resource management, geo-techniques and engineering Geology. In this year, you have to submit one dissertation paper. It is mandatory for you. You have to choose one of them.
Jobs that you can get after studying Geology:
You will get ample scopes after completing the course. The job of a seismologist and oceanographer is always open for you. You can earn many experience and money from this subject. Most organizations always look for these professionals. You can also get the job of a technical sales manager. You will get a lot of job options in the Government sectors. Many renowned organizations like ONGC, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited always look for these professionals or people with vast knowledge of Geology. Thus you can always make a better career in Geology.
Top three ways to become a geologist:
You can become a geologist in three ways. Let us discuss the points each by one.
Firstly, you can become a geologist if you complete B.sc in geology and then M.sc in geology. It is a five-year course. Some of the colleges also offer 5-year integrated courses.
In a second way, you can also opt for B.Tech in Geology and then M.Tech in geology after completing the 10+2 level. However, if you wish, you can also pursue P.hd in this course.
In a third way, after completing class 12, you can go with the integrated course of five years. This will open new avenues and options. You can get new scopes after the completion of this course.
Thus, these are the three ways through which you can become a geologist. You can choose the suitable one. You would make a better career in this subject. It is a great option.
Top Indian Institutes on Geology:
In this part, you will know of some of the best Indian Institutes that offer the subject of Geology. The issue is taught by reputed faculties who have gained ample scopes in this topic. You will be the lucky one if you get a chance to study in these colleges.
- Indian Institute of Technology (Dhanbad)
- Indian Institute of Technology (Kharagpur)
- Annamalai University (Chidambaram)
- Xavier’s college (Mumbai)
- Aligarh Muslim University (Aligarh)
- Jadavpur University (Kolkata)
- Hans Raj College (New Delhi)
- Bihar National College (Patna)
If you want to pursue a post-graduation degree, you can select any of the colleges mentioned –below.
- Indian Institute of Technology (Roorkee)
- Indian Institute of Technology (Dhanbad)
- Indian Institute of Technology (Kharagpur)
- Anna University (Chennai)
- Benaras Hindu University (Varanasi)