Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design is a popular course after completing class 12th. This is a four-year undergraduate program, and it is delivered via a semester system. Each semester has different subjects to teach the students about the important concept of Fashion & Apparel Design. The course is especially for students who wish to work in the fashion industry. The course imparts skills to the students, which would help them design accessories and clothes for brands or their clients. During the course, the students are taught about the designing process, including sketching and drawing of the artefacts. The students are also taught how to make the pattern on the clothes. In addition to all these topics, the students are taught about the history of costume, merchandising, communication and surface design.
Another essential skill that is required in the fashion industry is presentation skills. What looks good will sell, and this is precisely the reason why the students are made to give several presentations to polish their skills. The syllabus in Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design is a mix of theory and practical knowledge. The theory helps the student learn about the concept, and the practical help the student in practising the knowledge out in the practical world. If you are also interested in pursuing a course in the fashion and design industry, you can surely consider Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design for your graduation. In this article, we have listed many important details about the course, and it will help you, specifically if you are planning to pursue a Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design degree. Let us check out the details now.
Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design Course Introduction
We have already talked about Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design, and you would have got an idea about it. In this section, we have listed some more information about the course.
- The typical duration of the course is four years and every year has two semesters.
- The course is for students who wish to make a career in the fashion industry.
- After the course, you can get a job with the brands or open your boutique.
- After the course, you can also select a specialized domain like manufacturing, designing or any other domain.
- You can go for higher education, and you can opt for MBA or even a Masters in Fashion Designing.
- You acquire many skills during the course which involves designing on the computer, garment construction, business knowledge and a lot of other details.
- During the course, you will learn about the visual form of design and the apparels. You will get to develop a creative approach which is required in the industry.
BFAD Course Eligibility Criteria
There are some of the criteria that are required for you to pursue a Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design degree. Below are more details about the same.
- The candidate should have completed 10+2 from a recognized board.
- The candidate should have scored at least 50% in the board examination.
- The candidate should have English as a compulsory subject.
BFAD Course Admission Process
If you are eligible for the course, then you would be interested in knowing the admission process. Below are some of the points that you can go through, and it will help you understand the admission process for Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design.
- Some of the universities offer admission based on merit. You would need to fill the form in those institutes and universities and wait for the cut-off list. Once the cut-off list is available, you will be able to enrol into the college and get admission.
- For many other institutes, you must appear in the entrance test to be able to get admission. In such cases, you need to fill the form, and you would need to appear in the exam. The cut-off will be published, and if you qualify for the cut-off, you will be able to get admission to the institute.
- Remember that the two important things of the admission process are document verification & fee. You will be asked for the documents at various steps, and you should produce them. You need to deposit the fee on time, or else the admission may get cancelled.
- Some of the entrance tests that you must keep a watch on are AIEED, CEED, NID& NIFT.
BFAD Course Year-wise Subjects
If you wish to know the subjects in Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design, then you can check out the details in this section.
Year One –
- Basics of Garment Construction
- Basics of Pattern Making & Sewing
- Computer Fundamentals
- Element of Fashion Design
- Elements of Design
- Fibre Yarn Analysis
- Fibre Yarn Science
- Language 1
- Language 2
Year Two –
- Entrepreneurship Development
- Environmental Studies
- Fashion Art Design
- Historic Costume
- Indian Constitution
- Language 3
- Language 4
- Pattern Making & Clothing
- Traditional Textile Art
Year Three –
- Apparel Computer Aided Design
- Apparel Export Documentation
- Apparel Production
- Apparel Quality Assurance
- Fashion Business Management
- Portfolio Presentation
- Project – I
- Shop Floor Management
- Textile Testing
Year Four –
- Domestic Trading
- Export Promotion
- Fashion Overview
- Fashion Retailing
- Opportunities & Challenges – Fashion Industry
- Project Review
BFAD Course Best Colleges
It is always better to opt for the best possible college when you are pursuing an educational degree. The top colleges always improve your career prospects, and they also make it is easy for you to find a job. Moreover, enrolling in a premium college improves your placement aspects, and they also help you improve the salary over the market standards. Check out some of the best colleges below as they are considered to be the best in India
- Industrial Design Centre, Mumbai
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Design, Vijayawada
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kannur
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- United World Institute of Design, Gandhinagar
It should be noted that the fee varies according to your college. The minimum fee that we came across for the year is close to Rs 5,000 and the maximum fee that we came across for the year is over Rs 1.5 Lakh.
BFAD Course Career Prospects
Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design offers a lucrative career option for the students interested in the field. The students can choose their domain,work in the regular garment space, or work in premium attire space. Students can even create their labels and target the high-class society. The most exciting thing about the course is that it would not only teach you about clothing, but it will also teach you about accessories. You will learn about belts, Jewellery, footwear, handbags and a lot of other things. The diversification reduces the risk for you, and you can target something offbeat. You can even target some of the categories like carry-on bags, business wear or menswear. It all depends on your interest.
After the course, you also have an option to go for higher education. Many Indian institutes offer MBA or masters in a similar field. If you would like to be in the marketing side of the domain, you can even pursue an MBA in Marketing and get the best of both worlds. If you wish to learn about international fashion,you can enrol yourself in one of the foreign universities, which would amplify your exposure by a huge factor.
The recruiters in this field include brands, boutiques, designer labels, colleges, universities, import houses, MNCs, export house, designing industries and similar companies. Some of the e-commerce companies also employee graduates with Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design.
BFAD Job Designations & Salary
In this section, we have covered the information about the job designations that you will find after you complete the work. Below are some of the information
- Apparel Designer
- Fashion Assistant
- Fashion Coordinator
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Stylist
- Product Development Assistant
The salary depends on your designation and the industry. The minimum salary for the fresh graduate students is Rs 3 lakhs, and the maximum depends on their skills. We have seen the maximum salary going up to a seven-digit salary for a student with no experience. The average remains to be between Rs 6 Lakhs and Rs 8 Lakhs.
Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design – Final Verdict
We have listed all the possible information about the Bachelor of Fashion & Apparel Design, and we hope that this information would have helped you select your career path. We have covered the generalized instruction in some areas like the eligibility criteria and the admission process. It is better to check with the college to verify the information by visiting the institute’s website. You can even check out the deadlines for the admission process on the college website. With all that information, you are armed to take on to the competition. If you have any more question about the course, you can also reach out to us, and we will guide you with our expertise.
Rahul Kumar is a passionate educator, writer, and subject matter expert in the field of education and professional development. As an author on CoursesXpert, Rahul Kumar’s articles cover a wide range of topics, from various courses, educational and career guidance.