In recent years, the demand for government jobs has been increasing rapidly. Every student aims to get enlisted on higher job posts in the government sector. Choosing a specific job area and moving towards it for them is very difficult. Often, students face the dilemma of which designation is better. To help students, here we come with a popular option, that is Indian Railways. The Indian Railway is one the largest government platform offered various jobs across the country. It provides numerous benefits and perks to its employees such as House Rent Allowance, Travel Allowance, Dearness Allowance and many others.
Every year, it offers a golden chance to lakhs of aspirants through their various vacancies. The best thing about this field is that it offers better growth and lucrative salary packages to their employees/ workers. Students completing 12thor Bachelor’s degree course or Post Graduate degree course can apply for their different vacancies. RRB NTPC is one of the most opted career destinations for fresh graduates. Candidates who are willing to join Indian Railways can check the RRB NTPC exam. In this article, we have discussed about NTPC, eligibility criteria, Vacancies, Syllabus, selection procedure, etc.
Table of Contents
About RRB NTPC
Before discussing RRB NTPC, let us know its full- form. RRB NTPC stands for Railway Recruitment Board Non-Technical Popular Categories. NTPC conducts annually by the Railway Recruitment Board to a hired newcomer for their various departments. Currently, it notified 35,208 vacancies for the posts of Non-technical Popular Categories (NTPC). Just like other railway exams, candidates should follow the proper procedure for NTPC for being selected.
More than 2 lakh students will appear for RRB NTPC every year, but very few got selected. Candidates must have good knowledge and opt. good communication skills for qualifying for any government exam. After qualifying RRB NTPC, candidates will get selected for any position in the prestigious Government sector (Indian Railway). RRB NTPC is an ideal option for those candidates who have completed their graduation from any recognized university.
After clearing RRB NTPC, candidates will be hired at one of the top positions as per their preference and qualification. Some popular posts include:
- Junior Clerk Cum Typist
- Accounts Clerk Cum Typist
- Junior Time Keeper
- Trains Clerk
- Commercial Cum Ticket Clerk
- Goods Guard
- Traffic Assistant
- Senior Commercial Cum Ticket Clerk
- Junior Account Assistant Cum Typist
- Senior Clerk Cum Typist
- Senior Timekeeper
- Commercial Apprentice and Station Master in various zones of Railway
- Production Units of Indian Railways
RRB NTPC Eligibility Criteria
Candidates will meet some eligibility criteria before applying for the RRB NTPC exam. The RRB NTPC eligibility criteria involve academic qualification, age limit and nationality.
- For Commercial Apprentice ( CA), Traffic Apprentice (TA), Enquiry Cum Reservation Clerk, Assistant Station Master (ASM), Good Guard Selection, Traffic Assistant
- Candidates must have passed their graduation from any recognized university.
- Candidates should secure at least 50% to 60% in their qualifying exam.
- The minimum marks can vary for each stream.
- For Senior Clerk Cum Typist, Junior Accounts Assistant Cum Typist, Senior Type Keeper
- Candidates completing graduation with any stream are eligible to apply for RRB NTPC mentioned post.
- The graduation degree should be from any recognized university.
- Candidates must have proficient in Hindi or English Typing on Computer.
- The candidates should secure at least 50% to 60% marks in their qualifying exam.
- The minimum marks can differ for each stream.
All Indian candidates can apply for the RRB NTPC exam.
The age limit is divided into two categories – Age group 18-30 and Age group 18-33.
- For Age Group 18 to 30
Relaxation in upper age has given to candidates who belong to SC/ ST/ OBC/ Other categories. Let’s have a look:
- Relaxation for OBC-Non Creamy Layer – 3 years
- Relaxation for SC/ ST – 5 years
- Relaxation for Ex-Serviceman – 30 years + number of years of service reduced in defence+ 3 years
- For Serviceman ( OBC-Non Creamy) – 33 years + number of years of service reduced in defence + 3 years
- For Ex-Serviceman ( SC/ST) – 35 years+ number of years of service reduced in defence + 3years
- For PWBD ( UR) – 10 years
- For PWBD ( OBC-NCL) – 13 years
- For PWBD ( SC/ST) – 15 years
Note: Visit the official website for more information regarding age relaxation
- For Age Group 18 to 33
- For OBC-Non Creamy Layer – 3 years
- For SC/ST – 5 years
- For Ex-Serviceman – 33 years + number of years of service reduced in defence + 3years
- For Ex-Serviceman (OBC-Non Creamy) – 36 years + number of years of service reduced in defence + 3years
- For Serviceman (SC/ST) – 38 years + number of years of service rendered in defence + 3 years
- For PWBD ( UR) – 10 years
- For (OBC-NCL) – 13 years
- For PWBD ( SC/ST) – 15 years
RRB NTPC Selection Procedure
Candidates have selected through CBT (Computer-based test) and Typing Skill Test. By clearing RRB NTPC, candidates will be shortlisted for the last stage which is the documentation or medical examination stage. The procedure strictly depends upon the merit as per the recruitment stages.
RRB NTPC Exam Format
Before preparing for the RRB NTPC exam, candidates must know about their exam pattern. It may help you to understand the accurate format. The weightage of difficulty level can easily check through exam format. Let’s have a look:
The RRB NTPC is divided into four stages:
- 1st Stage – Computer Based Test (CBT)
- 2nd Stage – Computer Based Test (CBT)
- Typing Skill Test/Computer Based Aptitude Test (as applicable)
- Document Verification/Medical Examination
Stage-1 Exam Pattern
- Mathematics – 30 questions, 30 Marks
- General Intelligence and Reasoning – 30 questions, 30 Marks
- General Awareness – 40 questions, 40 Marks
- The duration for the stage is 90 minutes ( 120 Minutes for PWD)
- Negative Marking Scheme- 1/3 mark will be deducted for each wrong response.
Stage-2 Exam Pattern
- Mathematics – 35 questions, 35 marks
- General Intelligence and Reasoning – 35 questions, 35 marks
- General Awareness – 50 questions, 50 marks
- The stage holds 90 minutes 120 minutes for PWD candidates.
- Negative Marking Scheme – 1/3 will mark be deducted for each wrong response
RRB NTPC CBAT (Computer-Based Aptitude test)
The CBAT test will only conduct for those candidates who have to apply for Traffic Assistant and Station Master Post.
- To qualify CBAT test, applicants need to secure at least 42 marks in each of the test batteries.
- There is no relaxation in the minimum score.
- For the post of SM and Traffic Assistant, the student will have to qualify for each of the test batteries.
- Language – English and Hindi
- Negative Marking – Not applicable
- The final merit list will base on the percentile obtained by candidates in the CBAT 1st stage and 2nd
RRB NTPC Typing Skill Test
The students must proficient in both English and Hindi typing on the computer. He or She should be able to type 30 Works per minute in English and 25 Words per minute in Hindi (excluding spell check and editing tools).
RRB NTPC Document Verification
By clearing the Stage 2nd and CBAT / TST, candidates will be called upon for document verification procedure. It depends on the performance of candidates in 2nd stage CBT and TST. As per their merit list, they will appear for this final stage.
Pay Scale and Allowances
For each post (UG and PG), the pay scale can differ. Let’s have a look at all:
For Undergraduate Posts:
- Accounts Clerk cum Typist – Rs. 19,900
- Junior Clerk cum Typist – Rs. 19,900
- Trains Clerk – Rs. 19,900
- Junior Time Keeper – Rs. 19,900
- Commercial Cum Ticket Clerk – Rs. 21,700
For Postgraduate Posts:
- Good Guard – Rs. 29,200
- Traffic Assistant – Rs. 25,000
- Station Master – Rs. 35,400
- Commercial Apprentice – Rs. 35,400
- Senior Time Keeper – Rs. 29,200
- Junior Account Assistant cum Typist – Rs. 29,200
- Senior Clerk cum Typist – Rs. 29,200
Allowances and benefits for UG and PG Posts
- Medical Benefits
- Dearness Allowance
- Transport Allowance
- House Rent Allowance
- Pension, etc.
RRB NTPC Application Fees
The application fee can differ for each category. Let’s take a look:
- Application fee for General and OBC Category Candidates – Rs.500/-
- Application fee for SC/ST/PWD/ Women/Ex-Serviceman/ transgender/Minorities/Economically Backward Category Candidates – Rs.250/-
How to apply for RRB NTPC
Before appearing for the RRB NTPC exam, candidates need to fill the application form after receiving an official notification. By following few steps, candidates can apply themselves online. Let us discuss them:
Step 1: Visit the official website of RRB NTPC http://www.rrbcdg.gov.in
Step 2: After opening the official link, pick the desired post for which candidate wants to apply
Step 3: Tap on the “Click to Apply” option
Step 4: New Registration Option will show on your desktop
Step 5: Click on that option and start filling your application form
Step 6: Fill required details – Personal details (applicant name, father’s name, mother’s name, education and qualification detail)
Step 7: Scanned and upload photograph and signature
Step 8: Make payment for railway NTPC
Step 9: Submit your application form and take a printout for future purposes.