Usually, when you complete your 12th standard, you will have many options for your bachelor’s degree. It will be quite confusing, and most of you opt for either engineering or medicine as they are the most common options. But as there are so many people already pursuing this kind of course, the competition will be quite high. The best thing you can do is opt for a different course and not very common. One of such rarely preferred courses is BMC. BMC means Bachelor of Mass Communication. It is an undergraduate program, which is more related to mass media. You will be more into the journalism, editor, or anchor when you choose this course. If you are more interested in such a career, then here is some useful information that can help you know more about this bachelor’s degree in Mass communication.
What is the BMC (Bachelor of Mass Communication) Course?
There are so many different courses available in India related to mass communication and media, but the most popular option that many people choose is the Bachelor of Mass Communication. This is an under graduation program offered by many colleges. It is a three-year course and is conducted in semester style. As part of the course, you will be able to learn about mass media, strategic communication, and much more. In simple words, it is about communicating with a large group of people through one medium. The medium can be anything like TV channels, Newspapers, Film-making, radio, advertising and marketing, and much more.
We have several colleges and universities in India that offer this course. They make sure that the student who completes the Bachelor of Mass Communication course will have a vast knowledge of public relations, media, entertainment, mass communication, and some colleges, including a few specializations.
Usually, all the colleges and universities’ syllabus is almost the same; there are a few colleges that train their students in a few special subjects. The syllabus or subject covered in this course is vast, and hence you will have several career opportunities when you complete the course. Analytical thinking and critical decision-making are some of the most important skills that a person needs while opting for a Bachelor of Mass Communication degree.
If you are planning to enroll yourself into Bachelor of Mass Communication, then continue reading. We have added some more useful information about the course like eligibility, admission process, fee, course duration, and a lot more information.
You must qualify for the below mentioned points to be eligible for getting admission into Bachelor of Mass Communication:
- You should have passed 12th standard or any equivalent course from any recognized college or university.
- You should have scored at least 50 percent marks in the 12th standard.
- You should have crossed at least 17 years of age for getting admission into the course. The maximum age limit is 25 years.
- If they meet the above requirements, then anyone who has given their final year exams and waiting for results can also apply for it.
- You should have good communication skills to get admission to this course.
- There will be a 5 percent marks relaxation for the PH/ OBC/ ST/ SC category people.
For any course above 12th standard, you will have to take an entrance test or a selection process. The admission process for Bachelor of Mass Communication can be done in three simple ways. Here we have given you brief information about each step so that you will have enough information about all of them.
– Entrance-based Admission Process:
- In this process, you will have to visit the colleges or universities’ official website and fill in the application. You will have to provide a lot of information on the website and make the payment.
- Once you are done with the payment, you will receive the admit card, and you need to take the test.
- The colleges or universities announce the results, and the qualified candidates will be called for the further selection process. It can be either group discussion or personal interview.
– Merit-based Admission Process:
- In this process, you will have to visit the colleges or universities’ official website and fill in the application. You will have to provide a lot of information on the website and make the payment. This process is more about your academic results and score.
- The colleges or universities will go through all this information and then shortlist the candidates based on their academic performance. There will not be any entrance test that you need to take up for this course.
- You will have to attend the personal interview or group discussion as per the requirements of the college.
- Once you are shortlisted, then the college will inform you in person about the final selection.
– Counseling-based Admission Process:
- This Counseling-based admission process is a combination of both the entrance-based admission process and the merit-based admission process.
- You will have to first apply for the colleges and universities that you like and then take the common entrance test accepted by the colleges or universities.
- Based on the scorecard, you will be called for the personal interview or group discussion.
- Once the colleges finalize the final list of merit students, it sends a personal admission letter for each qualified student.
Usually, every college follows one of the selection processes listed above.
This is a three-year course, and the fee is going to be somewhere around Rs 50,000 to Rs 20,00,000 for the entire three years course. It varies from college to college, so you will have to pick a suitable college for your budget.
Syllabus or Curriculum:
You have six semesters in three years Bachelor of Mass Communication course. Here are some details about the subjects covered in the course:
- English I
- Fundamentals of journalism
- Mass communication
- Disaster management
- Current affairs I
- Indian political system
- English II
- Introduction to reporting
- Environment science
- Current affairs II
- Development communication
- English III
- Introduction to radio
- Print editing
- Current affairs III
- Introduction to advertising
- English IV
- Media laws
- Introduction to television
- Human rights
- Current affairs IV
- Online journalism
- English V
- Radio specialization
- Television specialization
- Current affairs V
- Minor project
- Major project
- Industrial training
Career Opportunities and Salary details:
You will receive a number of job opportunities once you complete a Bachelor of Mass Communication. Here are some of the job opportunities that you will receive from private and government organizations:
- News Anchor
- Multimedia and Web Writer
- Photo Journalism
- Proof Reader
- Public Relations Manager
- Social Media Specialist
- Radio Jockey
- Screen Writer
- News Report
The salary package is going to be between Rs 2,00,000 to Rs 8,00,000. As your experience increases, your package will also increase. The number of job opportunities is going to be very high for you.
Why Opt for BMC (Bachelor of Mass Communication) Course?
If you are looking for opt, Bachelor of Mass Communication course, many people ask you why you are going for such course. So, here are some reasons why you should take up this course:
- If you have a good passion for storytelling, then this course of bachelor of mass communication.
- If you complete a bachelor’s in mass communication, then you will be able to communicate, educate, inform and entertain a large group of people.
- If you have a lot of dedication to the media industry and mass broadcasting, then you will have a very fulfilling and exciting career.
- If you wish to continue your further studies in mass communication, this bachelor’s degree will be very helpful.
- The starting salary is going to be somewhere between Rs 2,00,000 and 10,00,000. It will increase as your experience increases.
- You will have a number of job opportunities from many top media industries in the country.
Some best Colleges offering BMC (Bachelor of Mass Communication) Course
Here are some of the best colleges that offer you a Bachelor of Mass Communication course. You can opt for them if you want to enroll in the best colleges:
- School of Broadcasting and Communication
- RKDF University
- Aryabhatta Knowledge University (AKU)
- International Institute of Management Media and Institute Technology
- Mohammad Ali Jauhar University
- Patna University
- Dev Bhoomi Institute of Technology
- Mohammad Ali Jauhar University
- BR Ambedkar Bihar University
- IES University
- Jai Prakash University
Clearing the entrance tests for Bachelor of Mass Communication is not going to be a tough job at all. It is all about logical and verbal reasoning. You should also have a good grip over your language. It is important to have both oral and written skills in your local language if you wish to make a career in Mass Communication. Getting a better role and better pay becomes easy when you have a good grip over different languages in your country.
So, this was some useful information about the Bachelor of Mass Communication degree. Check out all the parameters before you make your choice.