When you seek admission to a foreign university located in a country where the primary language is English, you usually need to appear for a test that would prove your proficiency in English.One such test that is very popular among students and universities is IELTS. However, some universities don’t accept IELTS, and instead, they accept PET. If you are seeking admission to a university that accepts the PET exam, then you are in the right place, as we have listed all the information about the same in this article. So go ahead and check out the same.
What is PET Exam in India?
PET stands for Preliminary English Test, and it tests your English skills based on the practical situation. Therefore, it is important to have a good foundation of language to score well on the test. In most cases, PET is required for the professional English qualification, and you can plan your tests accordingly. The level of PET qualification is considered to be Intermediate, which is also equivalent to B1 on the Common European Framework.
The students must take the exam so that the universities can ensure that they can communicate properly during the class. It also ensures that you can communicate properly when you are travelling in an English Speaking Country. The benefits of the exam are immense as English is considered an international language and spoken in a maximum number of countries.
Eligibility Criteria for PET Exam
In this section, we have listed the eligibility criteria for the PET exam. So, go ahead and check out the details below.
- There are no such special eligibility criteria associated with the PET exam except that you should be 18 years old to take the exam.
- If you are a minor and wish to take the exam, you need a copy of the signed parent consent form that enables you to apply for the exam.
PET Exam Syllabus & Pattern
In this section, we have listed the syllabus and pattern of the PET Exam. Check out the details below.
- The exam tests you on reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. In some cases, the reading, writing and listening section are scheduled on a single day, while the speaking section may be scheduled on a different day.
- You should be able to communicate freely in English, and you should be able to express your likes, dislikes and general things about yourself.
- You should be able to understand the announcements and instructions that are either written somewhere or that are spoken on public announcement systems.
- You should also be able to write a letter, or you should be able to take notes or minutes of the meeting.
- The first section is the reading and writing section, with a duration of 1 hour and 30 minutes with a 50% marks allocation. This has the maximum weightage in the test.
- The second section here is the listening section that has a duration of 30 minutes, and it has a weightage of 25%. Moreover, in this exam, you are made to listen to certain content based on which you need to answer the question.
- The last section in the exam is the speaking section. You are interviewed by two interviewers in this section, and you are given 10 to 12 minutes.You should also note that there will be one more candidate in the room with you during this round. So, in total, there will be two interviewers and two candidates for this round. The weightage of this round is also 25%.
Attempt for PET Exam
There is no restriction on attempts for the PET exam, but you would need to notify about your previous attempt and seek permission to appear in the next attempt. Failure to declare the previous score will result in the cancellation of the exam.
PET Exam Fees
The fee for the PET test has to be paid in GBP, and the standard fee for the test is 119 GBP. You need to pay the same amount for computer and paper-based test. You should have an international debit or credit card to pay for the PET exam.
The Registration Process of PET Exam
The downside of the PET Exam is that the registration process is not available online. Therefore, you would need to do the offline registration for the exam. Below are the detailed steps for the same.
- To register for PET, you need to contact the customer service team of the British Council. The contact numbers are – 0120-4569000 / 6684353. Alternatively, you can email ExamsCustomerCare@britishcouncil.org.
- Once you speak to customer service, British Council will share a form with you. Then, you need to fill in the application form and deposit it to the Gurgaon office of the British Council along with the application fee.
- The exam fee is paid via demand draft that will be drawn in favour of the British Council, and the DD should be payable at Delhi.
- Once all this is done, the registration will be complete, and British Council will notify you of exam dates and other formalities.