Over the past few years, India has been focused on the development of scientists. Every year, more than a thousand students decide to go for the technology and science stream but very few brilliants get succeed in it. As you know this stream is very difficult & expensive and many candidates cannot afford it. Here, it is an alternate available for those who are economically weaker. Yes, you heard right! It is a scholarship test which is known as KVPY, conducted by the Department of Science and Technology under the Government of India. Are you one of them who have a desire to pursue a science stream and have the ability to establish a career in it? then this is the right place for you In this article we are describing few aspects that you should consider before applying for the KVPY exam.
Table of Contents
About KVPY Exam:
Very few aspirants in the science field know about the KVPY exam. Here, KVPY stands for Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana, a national-level endowment program up to the Pre-Ph.D level in the field of basic Science, supported by the Department of Science & Technology (DST). Every year, this aptitude test is conducted by the IISC (Indian Institute of Science), Bangalore.
Under the supervision of the Government of India, the DST was first established in the year 1999. This program is specially designed for candidates who want to establish a research career in the Science field. Providing scholarships to candidates is the main object of this program. In 2021, the exam has been conducted on January 31 by the IISc Bangalore and the result of 2020 has been released on March 16, 2021, on the official website of KVPY. The merit list has been released by the conducting body of KVPY. Before captivating the exam, candidates are advised to check the previous year’s papers.
The main purpose of this program is to motivate applicants for owning a research career in the science field. The selection procedure of KVPY depends on the test in which basic concepts of science are involved. Through this program, brilliant minds are motivated for the development and research field in India. For getting more details, check the whole article. Let’s have a look at the first aspect-
Eligibility Criteria for KVPY Exam
If you are studying in 11th Class or studying any undergraduate course in basic science namely B. Stat/ BSc/B.Math/Integrated M.Sc/MS in Chemistry, Physics/Chemistry, and biology, then you are eligible for applying KVPY exam. The question paper of this exam is set by special groups/ committees at IISc, Bangalore, and the exam is conducted at many centers in India. In case, you are pursuing UG Programmes through correspondence or a Distance Education scheme, then you are not eligible to apply.
Interested Candidates who are willing to attempt KVPY Exam, should fulfill the below-mentioned eligibility requirements. It involves academic conditions for each stream-SA, SX, and SB. Take a look at these conditions-
- For SA Stream-
- Candidates having Indian Citizenship can apply for the KVP Scholarship program.
- Candidates who are enrolled in 11th Standard along with Science subjects in the academic year of 2021 can apply for this exam.
- The students must have scored at least 75% of marks (65% aggregate in case of the Schedule Cast/ Schedule Tribe and PWD) in Mathematics and Science in Class 10th.
- In the 12th board examination, aspirants must have scored at least 60% of marks (50% marks in the case of the SC/ST/PWD) in Science Subjects.
- Shortlisted candidates of the KVPY exam will get a scholarship and the scholarship will be activated in only one case, if he or she can join a UG course in Basic Science (B.Math/Int.Msc/MS/B.Sc/BS) in the academic year 2021.
- In the mid of one year, candidates will be invited to a camp which is organized by the National Science, don’t worry all expenses will be sponsored by KVPY.
- For SX Stream-
- Only Indian Candidates can apply for the KVPY Scholarship Programme under SX Stream.
- Those who are studying in the 12th Class can apply under this stream.
- He/ She must score at least 60% of marks in the qualifying exam (50% aggregate in case SC/ST/PwD applicants).
- The scholarship will be activated in one case if the shortlisted candidates opted. a UG course in Basic Science (B.Math/B.Sc/ B.Stat, Int. MS/M.Sc. in the 2020-21 academic year.
- As per the 2020 eligibility criteria of KVPY, students must score a minimum of 75% overall aggregate in the 10th class (65% marks in case SC/ST/PwD) in Mathematics and Science Subjects.
- For SB Stream-
- Students having Indian Citizenship are eligible for applying for the KVPY fellowship program under SB Stream.
- The candidates who have pursued 1st year (UG Course) in Science stream such as Mathematics/Physics/Chemistry and Biology in specializations like B.Math/B.Sc/BS/Int, M.Sc/MS/B.Stat) in the academic year of 2020-21 are eligible for the KVPY Fellowship test.
- Those who belong to the General category need to score at least 60% of marks and candidates who are opting for the reserved quota (SC/ST/PWD), need to score at least 50% of marks in Science subjects in the Intermediate Board Examination.
- Students have to secure at least 60% aggregate ( 50% aggregate in case SC/ST/PWD) in the first year final examination of B.Math/B.Stat./B.Sc/Integrated M.Sc/MS) before captivating up the scholarship, it was awarded.
The age criteria for each stream may differ from each other. The age requirement for each stream as follows:
- For SA Stream – The students who apply for the SA stream must be 16 years old.
- For SX Stream – The minimum age required for the SX stream is 17 years.
- For SB Stream – To apply for SB Stream, students must be 18 years old.
KVPY Fellowships Offered
Candidates who belong to any of the 3-stream SA, SB, and SX are eligible for the fellowship program. The scholarship and the contingency grant offered to candidates are below mentioned:
- SA/SX/SB Stream: During First to Third years of B.S./ B.Sc./ B.Stat./ B.Math/ Integrated M.Sc and Integrated M.S. – Rs. 5000 Monthly Scholarship, Rs. 20,000 Annual Contingency Grant.
- SA/SX/SB Stream: During the fourth and Fifth years of Integrated M.S. /M.Sc. /M. Math and M.Stat. – Rs. 7000 Monthly Scholarship, Rs. 28000 Annual Contingency Grant.
In case, any candidates will depart the Basic Science course ( B.Stat./ B.Sc./ B.Math/ B.S./ Int. M.S. and M.Sc ) due to personal reasons, then the KVPY scholarship will be clogged at any stage. This condition will be also applicable for the yearly contingency grant.
Syllabus and Exam Pattern of KVPY Fellowship Programme
For checking exam patterns you can visit the official website of this exam. It is published by the Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Bangalore. In the 2021 exam pattern, many question marks distribution and qualifying marks are included. Candidates will appear for the exam by choosing any of the mediums- English & Hindi. It is an online exam that consists of 100 marks. All questions are objective type (MCQs). To know more about the KYPY exam pattern, you can check the previous year’s question papers. You can check the below-mentioned details for further information:
- Mode of Exam – Computer Based Test ( MCQs type Questions)
- Medium – Hindi, and English
- Time Limit – 3 hours
- Number of Sections – Part 1 and Part 2
- Total score – 100
Marking Scheme for Stream SA:
- Mathematics: 15 Question for Part 1, 5 Question for Part 2 – Total Marks, 25
- Physics: 15 Question for Part 1, 5 Question for Part 2 – Total Marks, 25
- Chemistry: 15 Question for Part 1, 5 Question for Part 2 – Total Marks, 25
- Biology: 15 Question for Part 1, 5 Question for Part 2- Total Marks, 25
Marking Scheme for Stream SB and SX:
- Mathematics: 20 Question for Part 1, 10 Question for Part 2 – Total Marks, 40
- Physics: 20 Question for Part 1, 10 Question for Part 2 – Total Marks, 40
- Chemistry: 20 Question for Part 1, 10 Question for Part 2- Total Marks, 40
- Biology: 20 Question for Part 1, 10 Question for Part 2 – Total Marks, 40
In part 1, each correct answer will carry 1 mark and 0.25 will be cut for every wrong response.
In Part 2, each correct answer will carry 2 marks and 0.5 will be cut for every wrong response.
Syllabus of SA Stream
The SA Stream cover subjects like Physics ( Electrostatics, Physical world, Alternating Current, Sources of Energy, Refection of Light, etc.), Chemistry ( Acid, Bases & Salts, Concepts of Chemistry, etc.), Biology ( Reproductive System, Life Process, etc.) and Mathematics ( Geometry, Real Number and many more).
Syllabus of SB Stream
The SB Stream includes topics of subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics.
Syllabus of SX Stream
The SX Stream involves topics of subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics.
Registration Process of KVPY Exam
By following the guidance below mentioned, candidates can apply themselves to fill the KVPY application form:
Step1: Open any web browser (Google, Chrome) on your PC.
Step2: Open the official website of the KVPY Fellowship program.
Step3: Tap on that link
Step: 4 Then, Tap on the Login for Application option
Step: 5 Fill in details like mobile number, fathers and mother’s name, DOB and tap the captcha to proceed
Step: 6 your pre-registration Id and password will be notified at your email Id that you mention.
Step: 7 Scan academic qualification documents, scan passport size photo and signature.
Step: 8 Do Payment (candidates can make payment via net banking, credit card, etc.)
Fee for General Category – Rs 1000
Fee for SC/ST/PH/ PWD – Rs 500