The students who are willing to establish a career in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and technology will pursue B.Sc or M.Sc programs. In addition to that, a top-notch institute will give you a proper approach to become successful. If we talk about the IIT and IISC’s institutions, these two are a dream institute with well-developed research infrastructure, offers wide-range of job opportunities to their students. Moreover, the institutes encourage brilliant minds to pursue the areas of science and technology. If you are one of them who have a desire to study in IIT and IISC’s, then you should qualify for the IIT JAM exam for Master’s studies. In this article, you should learn what is IIT JAM exam? How you can apply for IIT Jam? What eligibility criteria required for applying for IIT JAM and many other aspects?
What is IIT JAM Exam?
Let’s start with the full form; the full form of IIT JAM is the Indian Institute of Technology (Joint Admission Tests for Master programs under Science and Research field. This exam is conducted by one of the participating India IITs every year. In simple words, this exam is based on the rotational concepts along with IISc Bangalore.
IITs conduct IIT JAM Exam for those who are interested in pursuing a Master’s program from reputed colleges like IISc, IITs, and NITs. For the upcoming year, IIT Roorkee will organize IIT JAM and the official notification for the entrance exam will be released soon. The IIT JAM offers admission to M.Sc ( 2-year), M.Sc – Ph.D. dual degree program, Joint M.Sc –Ph.D. the programme, and many other Post-Degree Bachelor’s degree courses at the different IITs. Through this exam, candidates can get admission to the Integrated Ph.D. programmes at IISc Bangalore.
Since the last few years, there has been a rapid growth in the faculty of students in the IIT JAM exam. IIT JAM is as difficult as any other science field exam like AIEEA, GSAT, JEST, NEST, etc. you can easily fulfill your dreams by clearing this National Level Entrance Exam in their respective science subject. For further details, you can check the official website of IIT JAM.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT JAM
Interested candidates who are seeking admission in IITs or IISc’s for the Master’s programme must crack the IIT JAM exam first. Before applying for the exam, candidates are advised to fulfill the below-mentioned eligibility:
Nationality/ Citizenship – The students must be an Indian citizens.
Academic Qualification – Candidates who are applying for the IIT JAM exam need to fulfill the following academic qualification requirement:
- Candidates must obtain Bachelor’s degree in Science Subjects.
- An aspirant who belongs to the General Category/OBC (NCL) category must secure at least 55% of marks or 5.5 CGPA/CPA out of 10 for applying IIT JAM.
- In the case of SC/ST and PwD, applicants must score at least 50% of marks or 5.0 CGP/CPI out of 10 in the qualifying exam.
- Candidates who are appearing in final exams or appeared for the final examination can also apply for IIT JAM.
- Candidates can apply for provisional admission if they have qualified for the upcoming JAM exam by fulfilling the following conditions-
- All parts and semesters of the final examination shall be completed with minimum aggregate by the date of registration of the IIT JAM Institute, which conducts the JAM exam for the upcoming year.
- He or she must submit the proof of passing the final examination ( Marksheet, Provisional Certificate, etc as per the requirement of the institute).
IIT JAM Eligibility Criteria for Admission in IISc and IITs
There are several IITs established in India like IIT Bombay, IIT Bhubaneswar, IIT Indore, IIT Jodhpur, IIT Madras, IIT Patna, IIT Roorkee, IIT Hyderabad, and many others. The eligibility criteria may vary from institute to institute. All the eligibility criteria for the qualifying degree should decide by the IT JAM to get admission in all participating IITs and IISc. The following information will guide you properly. Let’s have a look-
- After qualifying for the IIT JAM, you can pick one IIT institute for Master’s degree program but before choosing the Institute you should fulfill the academic requirement which is mention below-
- For General and OBC Category – The students must obtain a bachelor’s degree with a minimum aggregate of 55% and secure at least 5.5 CGPA/CPI out of 10 in the qualifying exam.
- For SC/ST/PWD Category – The students must have passed the qualifying exam with a minimum aggregate of 50% and secure at least 5.0 CGPA/CPI out of 10 in the qualifying exam.
IIT JAM Eligibility Criteria – Educational Qualification
The educational qualification depends on the desired programme that you can choose. The basic education qualification for the IIT Jam may differ from course to course. As per the academic program, Admission to the bachelor’s program is accepted through a score of the UG program, and Admission to the Master’s program is accepted through a score of PG program along with scores of entrance exam. Here we are explaining some important program as an example:
- Joint M.SC-PhD in Molecular Medical Biology – Bachelor’s degree in B.SC/BS with Science subjects.
- SC Ph.D. Dual Degree in Environmental Science & Engineering – Bachelor’s degree in B.SC with Biology
- Joint M.Sc-PhD Dual Degree Nuclear Medicine – Bachelor’s degree in B.SC/BS with Chemistry
- Joint M.Sc-PhD in Atmosphere in and Ocean Science – Bachelor’s degree in B.SC with Chemistry and Physics
- Sc in Economics – Bachelor’s degree in B.SC/BA/B.Com/B.Tech or equivalent
- Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D. in Geophysics – Any Bachelor’s degree along with Geography subject
- Sc.(Tech) in Applied Geology – B.Sc. degree (3 years) with Geology as Honours/ Major/ Main/Equivalent
- Sc- Ph.D. Dual Degree in Environmental Science and Engineering – any one of biology subject, etc.
Medical Criteria for IIT JAM
- Candidates with Uni-ocularity and color blindness are not eligible to apply for IIT JAM.
- The person with a disability ( PwD) should be able to work properly without assistance if they can apply for the IIT JAM.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT JAM – CCMN Counselling
After qualifying for the IIT JAM, candidates need to fulfill the CCMN Counselling eligibility criteria. He or she should score at least 60% of marks 55% in case SC/ST/PwD in qualifying exam.
IIT JAM Exam Syllabus and Pattern
Before applying the IIT JAM candidates are advised to go through the syllabus and paper pattern. The exam pattern and syllabus help you to understand the mark’s weightage of the topics. Let’s first take a look at the paper pattern-
IIT JAM Exam Pattern
The IIT JAM Exam Pattern consists of three sections that offer a wide range of questions from different areas of subjects (Duration 3 Hours). The pattern of the question as follows:
- Multiple Choice Questions ( MCQ) – Each question will have four options
- Number of Question – 30
- Total Marks – 50
- Mode of Exam – Online
- Negative Marking – 1/3 will be deducted for 1 mark question, 2/3 will be deducted for 2 marks question
- Multiple Select Questions ( MSQ) – similar to MCQs but maybe more than one option will be correct
- Number of Question – 10
- Total Marks – 20
- Mode of Exam – Online
- No Negative Marking
- Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT) – No choices available in these questions. The answer can be either numerical value, integer value, and decimals.
- Number of Question – 20
- Total Marks – 30
- Mode of Exam – Online
- No Negative Marking
IIT JAM Syllabus
The IIT JAM syllabus spread over the subjects like Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Geology, Biotechnology, Chemistry and Economics. Economics is a newly added subject in the IIT JAM syllabus. The following topics are covered under these subjects.
- Physics – Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Solid State Physics, Devices, and Electronics, etc.
- Mathematics – Functions of One Real Variable, Equations, Vectors, etc.
- Geology – Structural Geology, Planet and Earth, Mineralogy, Stratigraphy, etc.
- Bio-Technology – Basic Biotechnology, Cell Biology, Microbiology ( 12th standard Mathematics and Chemistry topics).
- Chemistry – Atomic and Molecular Structure, Theory of Gases, Solids, Chemical and Phase Equilibria, Chemical Thermodynamics, etc.
- Statistics – Standard Distributions, Random Variables, Joint Distributions, etc.
- Economics – Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Indian Economy, Mathematics for Economics, etc.
IIT JAM Application Fees
The IIT JAM Application fees different categories are mentioned below:
- For female ( All Categories)/ SC/ST/PwD
- IIT JAM Application Fee for One Test Paper – Rs. 750
- IIT JAM Application Fee for Two Test Paper – Rs. 1,050
- For General and OBC Category
- IIT JAM Application for One Test Paper – Rs. 1500
- IIT JAM Application for Two Test Paper – Rs. 2,100
How to Apply for IIT JAM?
By the below-mentioned steps, candidates can apply for IIT JAM themselves online. The few steps are listed below:
Step: 1 Open the official website of the IIT JAM
Step: 2 then create a login ID on the JOAPS (JAM Online Application Processing System) and set a password.
Step: 3 with this ID and password open the “fill the form” option
Step: 4 Fill in the required details (DOB, Address, Email, Fathers Name, Mothers Name, JAM Paper Code, Eligibility Degree Details, Current Address details, parent’s phone number, etc.)
Step: 5 Scanned passport size photographers (Photographer must be 3.5 cm* 4.5 cm).
Step: 6 Scanned signature (signature must be 2 cm * 7 cm)
Step: 7 after the scanning process, Make payment by using Credit Card/ Debit Card/ Challan through the bank.
Step: 8 take a printout of the submitted form.