Those who are looking to pursue their careers in the field of pharmacy can consider joining this course. The M.Pharm or master of pharmacy is a two-year postgraduate course that deals with the advanced topics in the field of pharmacy. The course also includes topics related to how new chemical elements can be used for medicinal purposes. This master’s degree is a career-oriented course and offers plenty of opportunities to the candidates after the completion of this course.
It is one of the highly pursued professional courses in the field of pharmacy. Those who are interested in pursuing this course must have a B.Pharm degree from a pharmacy council of India recognized college. The candidates who pursue the master of pharmacy course will learn instrumental techniques, emerging areas, practical aspects of the research methods, etc.
This master’s degree course can be pursued through full-time classroom education as well as distance education. So, students can pursue this course at their convenience. After successful completion of the M.Pharm course, the graduates can get jobs in the field of health and chemical science.
What Is Master of Pharmacy Course?
The master of pharmacy course is a professional postgraduate level degree program that provides practical knowledge related to medicines and their productions.The course also deals with the preparation, dispensing, and appropriate utilization of medicines. The m.pharm course has a duration of 2 years which is further divided into four semesters. The students will need to submit a thesis at the end of the last semester.
Who Should Pursue the Master of Pharmacy Course?
- The m.pharm course is ideal for students who are fond of medicines and want to make a career in the field of life science. Also, those who have interests in pharmacy can consider joining this course to make a career in this field.
- Candidates should have a sense of responsibility and logical thinking to join this course. They should also have other skills like patience and analytical thinking to study this course well.
- Students who want to serve the nation in the field of health service can make a career in the same field by joining this course.
- Some other skills required for this course include strong communication skills and the ability to understand the work of numbers. Those who have ethical and interpersonal awareness are the best suit for the m.pharm course.
Why Should One Study the Master of Pharmacy Course?
The master of pharmacy course has a higher career scope and offers various job opportunities to the students. Apart from that, there are plenty of benefits of pursuing this course. The following are some of the top reasons why one should study the m.pharm course.
- The knowledge of pharmacy is a necessity for producing the latest medicines to deal with life-threatening diseases. Those who have knowledge in this field can play a major role in improving medical science.
- By studying the m.pharm course, students can get a deeper knowledge of medicinal drugs, their productions, and their use. This course offers excellent job opportunities to the students in government sectors, chemical industry, pharmaceutical labs, and many more.
- After successful completion of the course, students can open their own private labs and conduct various research activities.
Eligibility Criteria for The Master of Pharmacy Course:
In order to join the master of pharmacy course, one should have at least 50% marks or equivalent marks in their BPharm course from a recognized college or university by the Pharmacy Council ofIndia.
Some colleges also require at least 60% marks in the bachelor’s degree to give admission to the students to the master of pharmacy course.
Admission Process for The Master of Pharmacy Course:
The admission process for the MPharm course is usually based on the entrance exams conducted by the universities, state medical authorities, or central medical authorities. After completion of the entrance exams, the result is announced,and a merit list is prepared based on the cut-off. After the declaration of the merit list, students can proceed with the admission process.
The following are some of the top entrance exams conducted to give admission to the MPharm course in pharmaceutical colleges in India.
It is a three-hourcomputer-based test conducted by the NTA. This entrance test was previously conducted by AICTE. The GPAT exam is conducted annually and includes questions from different topics like pharmacology, pharmaceutical, pharmacognosy, chemistry, and others.
- BITS HD Pharmacy:
This entrance test is conducted by the Birla Institute of Technology to give admission to its MPharm course. This entrance test has a total of 100 marks and is conducted in two slots.
- APPGECET Pharmacy:
The APPGECET pharmacy entrance test is a two-hour exam and is conducted in the CBT Mode. The Andhra Pradesh Postgraduate Engineering Common Entrance Test is a state-level exam that gives admission to different MPharm colleges in Andhra Pradesh.
Some other common entrance tests conducted for admission to the master of pharmacy course are NIPERExam, All IndiaPG Super Specialty Common Entrance Test, Manipal Entrance Test, West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam, etc.
Tips For Preparing The M.Pharm Course:
Below mentioned are some common tips that you can follow to get admission to the master of pharmacy course.
- The entrance exams conducted for the m.pharm course usually have a duration of 2 to three hours. During this time period, students will need to attempt 150 to 200 questions. So, students should have time management skills to attempt all the questions within the given time.
- The entrance exams conducted for the m.pharm admission process usually include questions from different topics like chemistry, biology, and physics. So, the candidates should keep practicing the questions from all these topics so that it will be easier for them to attempt the exam.
- Students should also focus on the basic concepts of all these topics and previous years’ question papers so that they can easily understand the questionsin the entrance tests and clear the entrance test without any difficulties.
Master of Pharmacy Course Fees:
The course fee for the MPharm course varies depending on the facilities and infrastructure offered by the colleges or universities. The course fee for the master of pharmacy course usually ranges from 50,000 rupees to 6 lakh rupees.The course fee usually changes according to the field of specialization that you choose to study.
Scope of The Master of Pharmacy Course:
The master’s degree program in the field of pharmacy has a higher importance in the medical field as well as the economy. Moreover, most synthetic drugs are manufactured in the world are manufactured in India, which opens up career opportunities for the graduates of the M.Pharm course in India. Apart from that, India also exports different drugs and raw materials to different countries. This is why there is higher growth in the pharmaceutical companies in India.
Many international companies have their offices in different cities of India. This creates a higher demand for the graduates from the master of pharmacy course. In this way, the master of pharmacy course offers a wide range of job opportunities in various industries.
Students can also pursue PharmDor other Ph.D. level courses after the completion of the master of pharmacy course.
Specializations Of The M.Pharm Course:
The master of pharmacy course provides numerous specializations to the students. The candidates will need to select a specialization depending on their interests. The popular specializations offered by the master of pharmacy are as follows:
- Mpharm In Pharmaceutics:
This is an advanced study of pharmaceutics that deals with the composition and manufacture of different medicines. The course also includes different development processes that have been performed in the field of pharmaceutical drugs.
- MPharm In Industrial Pharmacy:
The MPharm in industrial pharmacy course usually deals with the study of mass spectrometers. By pursuing this course, students can learn more about the pharmaceutical industry and how it impacts health care directly.
- MPharm In Pharmacology:
The MPharmin pharmacology course mainly deals with the study of the interplay between chemicals and living organisms. This is a special branch of master of pharmacy that includes the advanced study of pharmaceuticals.
- MPharm In Pharmaceutical Chemistry:
This course includes the study of the design and application of different chemical products in the healthcare industry. In this field of specialization, students can learn the latest techniques for designing new drugs. This course mainly deals with the chemical aspects of pharmaceutical sciences.
Syllabus for The Master of Pharmacy Course:
The MPharm course includes different subjects depending on the field of specialization. The course includes the core subjects, labs, and elective subjects to provide complete knowledge of the field. Moreover, you may notice a slight change in the subjects in different colleges and universities on the basis of the field of specialization you choose.
The following are the important topics that you are going to study in four semesters of the MPharm course.
- Modern Pharmaceutics 1
- Drug Regulatory Affairs
- Advanced Physical Pharmaceutics
- Modern Pharmaceutical Analytical Techniques
- Pharmaceutical Management
- Pharmacoepidemiology And Pharmacoeconomics
- Applied Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics Lab
- Advanced Drug Delivery System
- Modern Pharmaceutics 2
- Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance
- Advanced Drug Delivery System Lab
- Entrepreneurship Management
- Industrial Pharmacy
- Stability of Drugs and Dosage Forms
- Nano Based Drug Delivery System
- Modern Pharmaceutics Lab
- Screening Methods in Pharmacology
- Project Work Review 1
- Comprehensive Viva Voce
- Project Work Review 2
- Project Evaluation Viva Voce
Career Opportunities for The Master of Pharmacy Course:
The master of pharmacy course offers excellent job opportunities after the completion of the course. Those who are looking to make a career in the field of pharmacy can consider pursuing this master’s degree course to meet their career goals.
Some major areas where the candidates of the MPharm course include quality assurance, health economy, quality control, sales & marketing, and nutrition pharmacy. Also, the students of this course can work in various job profiles in different industries. Here are some of the top job profiles for the candidates of the master of pharmacy course.
- Clinical Researchers:
The individuals in this job role are responsible for conducting research and development activities in the field of medicines and drugs. They also figure out ways to prevent, diagnose, and treat different health conditions in humans. The average annual salary of a clinical researcher is 3.5 lakh rupees.
- Drug Control Director:
Drug control director is another top role for the graduates of the MPharm course. These professionals perform research activities on different types of diseases in humans. A drug control director can earn an average salary of 6 lakh rupees per year.
A pharmacist mainly looks after the safety and utilization of different pharmaceutical drugs. They also prepare medications for patients and provide pharmacological information to different health care teams. Pharmacists supervise the work results of support personnel and ensure a clean and safe working environment by following rules, regulations, and procedures. A pharmacist earns an average salary of 2.5 lakh rupees per year.
- Medical Representative:
The main job of a medical representative is to promote and sell the products of the company in which they work. They usually sell the products to doctors, pharmacists, and nurses. They also answer customer queries, increase product awareness, and introduce new products to customers. Medical representatives mostly deal with clients in various pharmaceutical organizations. The average annual salary of medical representatives is 3 lakh rupees.
Top Colleges in India For Pursuing Master of Pharmacy Course:
Here are some of the top colleges in India that offer the MPharm course.
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, [NIPER] Mohali
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi
- Oxford College of Pharmacy, Bangalore
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Bombay College of Pharmacy, Kalyan
- JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty
- Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi
- Goa College of Pharmacy, Panaji
- PSG College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore
The master of pharmacy course is an excellent opportunity for students who want to pursue their careers in the field of pharmacy and medical research. The master’s degree course offers a wide range of job opportunities and handsome salaries to students after the completion of their studies.
Rahul Kumar is a passionate educator, writer, and subject matter expert in the field of education and professional development. As an author on CoursesXpert, Rahul Kumar’s articles cover a wide range of topics, from various courses, educational and career guidance.