Usually, almost every one of us loves to eat food at a restaurant near you or we get some groceries from a store nearby. We also buy some packed food from the grocery stores. But did you anytime worry whether they are safe for you to eat or not? Whether they are made as per the safety standards or not? Yes, they are and a health inspector will take care of all that. The sanitization and safety standards will be take care by the health inspector.
It involves study in various sector of science like nutritional science, food science and other kinds as well. If you wish to become a health inspector, then this article is for you. Here is some useful information about the eligibility criteria, steps to become a health inspector in India, some important exams that you may have to take, some course that you can choose from and other details like job opportunities and salary structure as well. The colleges that you choose are also important and so we have even listed the names of some of the best colleges for courses related to health inspector.
Table of Contents
Who is a Health Inspector?
A health inspector is a professional who has a degree or diploma in health sciences so that they will be able to check the standards of products that are being made. They can work in various sectors wherever there is a necessity to maintain safety and sanitization standards. They work towards the control of disease by examining various factors in and around the place like air, water and also other elements.
They take the help of the samples collected from different industries to check their safety standards. These inspectors conduct a number of test to make sure that they are safe and all safety standards are being followed. There are many other things that are handled by the health inspectors. So, if you are planning a career as a health inspector, then you will have to check out below for more details.
Here are the eligibility criteria that a candidate applying for the health inspector post should meet:
- The candidate should have passed 10+2 from a recognized college or university with a score of at least 50 percent marks. You should Biology, Chemistry and Physics as mandatory subjects.
- You have one year or two year diploma courses for Health sciences and so you can choose them if you wish to go for a short term course.
- Or, you should have completed your bachelor’s degree in one the courses that are listed below to become a health inspector.
- After that, if you wish to continue your studies and get a better opportunity as a health inspector, then you should complete your master’s degree as well.
Once you complete all this and obtain your license, you will be able to work as a health inspector in many private and public sectors.
Also Read: How To Become a Food Inspector In India
How to become a health inspector?
Here is a step-by-step guide about how to become a health inspector in India:
- You should first complete your 10+2 with a score of at least 50 percent marks. Only then you will be made eligible to take up the further courses to become a health inspector.
- Make sure that you have Physics, Biology and Chemistry as the main subjects.
- You should now start your preparation for the entrance exam if you wish to take up a bachelor’s degree.
- Once you clear the exam and get a proper rank, the admission process will start. You will have to go for a counseling process to complete the admission process.
- Select a bachelor’s course of your choice from the ones listed below and complete it with an aggregate of at least 55 to 60 percent marks. This course is usually for two to four years depending on the course that you are selecting.
- It is not mandatory to have a master’s degree but if possible it is good to complete your master’s in one of the courses listed below. This will help you fetch a good job.
- You should now get a license that helps you to start your work as a health inspector.
Some entrance tests you can give:
Like we already discussed, you will have to take an entrance test to get admission into the bachelors and master degree courses that we have listed below. Whenever there is an entrance test, it is very important for you to start your preparation well in advance. That way you will be able to clear the exam and get your admission in one of the best colleges in India. So, here are some of the entrance tests.
- AMU EE: Aligarh Muslim University Entrance Examination
- BCECEB: Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination
- BITSAT: Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission Test
- ICAR AIEEA: Indian Council of Agricultural Research All India Entrance Examination for Admission
- IISER-EE: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Entrance Examination
- JCECEB: Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board
- JEE Advanced: Joint Entrance Examination Advanced
- JEE Main: Joint Entrance Examination Main
- KCET: Karnataka Common Entrance Test
- KEAM: Kerala Engineering, Agriculture and Medical
- MP PAT: Madhya Pradesh Pre-Agriculture Test
- OUAT EE: Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology Entrance Examination
- SRMJEEE: SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Examination Engineering
- TS EAMCET: Telangana State Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Entrance Test
Some of the best courses you can consider:
When you wish to make a career as a health inspector, you have a few important courses that you need to choose. With the help of this list, you will be able to choose the right course for you to become a health inspector.
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Agriculture
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Agronomy
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Biochemistry
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Biology
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Chemistry
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Chemistry
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Dairy Science
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Food Science
- B.Sc (Bachelor of Science) Life Science
- B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) Biotechnology Engineering
- B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology) Agriculture Engineering and Technology
- B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology) Dairy Technology
- B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology) Food Technology
- M.Sc. (Master of Science) Agriculture
- M.Sc. (Master of Science) Chemistry
- M.Sc. (Master of Science) Dairy Science
- M.Sc. (Master of Science) Food Science
- M.Sc. (Master of Science) Life Science
- M.Sc. (Master of Science) Plant Science
- M.Tech (Master of Technology) Dairy Technology
- M.Tech (Master of Technology) Food Technology
- M.Tech. (Master of Technology) Agriculture Engineering and Technology
- M.Tech. (Master of Technology) Biotechnology
Out of all these courses, you can choose a course of your choice so that you will be able to get the best job opportunity and best salary package as well.
You will be able to receive a number of job opportunities from both public and private sectors. Here are some of the job opportunities you will receive after you complete the course and get your license:
- Field Assistant
- Food Inspector
- Healthcare Consultant
- Healthcare Manager
- Laboratory Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Multipurpose Medical Assistant
- Public Health Research
- Sanitation Inspector
Apart from these, you will also receive many other job opportunities from different sectors.
Areas of Employment:
When it comes to areas of employment, a health inspector will get job opportunities from many different sectors. But if you wish to know more about where your place will be done, then here are a few areas of employment for the health inspectors:
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Municipal Corporations
- Pathology Labs
- Private Hospitals
- Public Hospitals
The salary is never a bar for any right person with good knowledge and skills. A health inspector will be able to earn pretty good income. They will start with as low as Rs 2,50,000 per annum at the beginning. But as they keep gaining experience, they can reach Rs 4,50,000 per annum. It all depends on the sector where you are going to work and how many years of experience you. Health inspectors can be placed in many different sectors and hence they will receive good salary based on the sector in which they work.
Best Colleges For becoming a health inspector:
There is a lot of work involved for a health inspector and they need a lot of knowledge to complete their job. In depth knowledge in the subject will help them in getting a better job and making the career as well. But you will be able to get the best education only when you get admission in one of the best colleges or universities in India. There are many different colleges available in India that offer you course which help you become a health inspector. But if you are looking for some of the best names, then you need to check out the below list. These are just some of the best colleges, we still have a lot of them.
- AIIMS Delhi, Delhi
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- J. Medical College, Ahmedabad
- Belgavi Institute of Medical Sciences BIMS, Belgavi
- Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow
- CMC Vellore, Vellore
- D Y Patil University, Navi Mumbai
- Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences, Mandya
- Neigrihms, Shillong
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh P
- Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS ROHTAK), Rohtak
- Raja Rajeshwari Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore
- Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Bangalore
Get your admission done in any of these colleges and you will have the best education in India. So, this was our information on how to become a health inspector in India. It is not going to be a simple job to do and also cracking the entrance exams is tough job. You just need to make sure that you are getting the right education and experience to be part of one of the best companies or sector.