Getting a job in the government sector is not going to be an easy job for anyone, especially a post in an officer grade. There are many students who spend at least two to three years of their life just preparing for the government exams. There are many reasons why people like to get into government jobs, like good salary, other benefits and apart from all that there is job security. If you are looking for a government job, then one of the most popular options is B.D.O [Block Development Officer]. Yes, every year a lot of people appear for this exam.
This one of the most popular government job posts in India, and it is not going to be very easy for you to crack the exam. You will have to go through a set of exams. The notification for the B.D.O. will be posted in the employment news and also online if you wish to apply for it. So, here are some more details about the examinations that you will have to take and how to become a Block Development Officer.
Table of Contents
Who is a B.D.O. [Block Development Officer]?
Block Development Officer or B.D.O is a government official who is responsible or in charge of a block. These blocks are under each district, and the Block Development Officer will be responsible for the planning and development of that district. Within the specific block, they are responsible for the complete planning of the region development and then implementing it. For both regulatory development and growth of the operational wing, a Block Development Officer will be the main person. They will have to carry out all the operations for the development of that particular block. To be clear about it, if there has to be the construction of a bridge or road in any area, then the permitting process should be done by the Block Development Officer only. Almost all the projects done by the Block Development Officer is related to public development.
If you are someone planning to apply for the post of Block Development Officer, then here are some details about the eligibility criteria for this post. Only if you meet them will you be able to apply for this post.
- The first point that you need to keep in your mind is that you should have completed the 12th standard from a recognized college or university. You can complete your 12th standard in any stream of your choice – Arts, Commerce, Humanities, or Science.
- You should have completed your graduation from any recognized college or university in India or have an equivalent degree. This graduation degree can also be obtained in any discipline. You need not have to worry about the field. You can complete B.Tech, B.A. B.Com, BBA, B.Sc, B.E. B.C.A or any other under graduation degree will be accepted for the post of Block Development Officer.
Along with the educational qualification, it is also important to make sure that you meet the age requirements as well. If you are applying for the post of Block Development Officer, you should be at least 21 years of age. The maximum age limit is 32 years of age. But this is just for the general category candidates. But there is relaxation for the candidates with reservations. For the B.C. candidates, it is 35, for ST / SC, the maximum age is 37, and candidates with physical disability have 42 as the maximum age limit. So, depending on that, you will have to make sure that you are applying at the right age. Otherwise, you may have to miss the chance to apply for this post.
Apart from educational qualification and age limit, you should also make sure that you are a citizen of India to apply for the job. Citizens of Bhutan and Nepal and those who moved to India as refugees before 1962 and no permanent citizenship can also apply for it.
Entrance exam details
The entrance exam is one of the most important things for you. You will have to make sure that you are giving enough time for the preparation as it is not going to be just one test to clear. You will have a set of exams that you will have to clear if you wish to become a Block Development Officer. The state government of every state in India conducts this exam. This exam conducted by the state government is very important in many ways, like for recruitment and for transfers as well. The exam conducted by the state Public Service Commission is considered one of the toughest exams conducted by the state governments. The pattern and difficulty levels are similar to that of the UPSC exam, and that is the reason why you need to spend a lot of time cracking this examination.
The Public Service Commission has its own website, and all the details about the exam will be available on that website. It provides complete details like the syllabus, exam dates, results, fee, and all other information that you need to know about the exam before you apply for it. That makes it quite easy for you to start the preparation and clear the exam.
Exam Pattern for the Block Development Officer is as follows:
Preliminary exam: In the preliminary exam, you will have two papers to clear. One of them is General studies, and the other paper is Civil Aptitude.
- For General studies, you will have a paper of 100 questions, and each carries two marks. That means it is a paper of 200 marks with a duration of two hours.
- The Civil Aptitude test is a paper of 80 questions, and each carries 2.5 marks. So, this is also a paper of 200 marks, and the duration for this exam is also two hours.
Once you clear both the papers in the Preliminary exam, you will have to take the mains exam of P.S.C. This is going to the tough stage as you will have to clear eight papers to become a Block Development Officer.
- One paper is on the language of your choice that you have studied till 12th standard. It is a 100 marks paper with three hours duration.
- The next paper is essay writing, and it is also a 100 marks paper. The duration of the exam is three hours.
- General Studies 1 is the next paper with subjects Geography, Society and History. It is a 250 marks paper with three hours duration.
- The General studies two paper is about Governance and International Relations, Indian Constitution and Political Science. It is a 250 marks paper with three hours duration.
- General Studies 3 has Economy, Statistics, and Security issues as the subjects, and this is a paper for three hours with 250 marks.
- The next paper is General Studies 4, and the subjects are Science and Technology, Environment, Problem Solving, and Decision Making. It is a 250 marks paper with three hours duration.
- The next paper is Optional paper one, and it is a paper for three hours. You get to choose the subjects for the optional paper, and we have given the entire list of optional papers below for you.
- The next paper is Optional paper two, and it is a paper for three hours. You get to choose the subjects for the optional paper, and we have given the entire list of optional papers below for you.
Personal Interview: This is going to be the last stage, and it is for 150 marks. You will have to answer a few challenging questions in this round. The answer does not play an important role, but how well you are able to analyze the situation is important. Once this round is clear, you will be selected for the Block Development Officer position.
Optional Subjects for the entrance exam:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Service
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- English Literature
- Hindi Literature
- Indian History
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
- Punjabi Literature
- Sanskrit Literature
The marks that are secured in the preliminary exam will not be calculated when the results are announced. It is just a qualifying step for your mains. If you are successful in getting at least 33 percent marks, then you will be allowed to take the mains exam. You will be allowed for the personal interview only on the basis of marks secured in the mains exam. It again depends on the category to which you belong.
Steps for applying for B.D.O [Block Development Officer] exam:
- You should first visit the state Public Service Commission website and check for the notification. It is very important to go through the entire notification before you apply.
- Once you are done reading the notification, and you meet all the requirements, then you will have to apply for it by filling in all the required details. You will have to upload your 10th, 12th graduation certificates along with your photo and signature.
- After you are done submitting all the required documents, you should now pay the fee and complete the final step.
- Once the exam date is announced, you will either receive a message on your registered number or your email. You can then download the admit card and appear for the examination on the mentioned date.
As the Block Development Officer will be posted in each state and different districts as well, their salary will depend on the area in which they are usually posted. The changes from district to district and state to state. The Block Development Officer is also responsible for the taxation, salary to their employees, and the maintenance of all these records.
The salary of the Block Development Officer is going to be Rs 9300 to Rs 34,800 as basic pay, and along with that, they also get a grade pay of Rs 4800. This is a government job, and as the experience in the field increases, you will start receiving increments in the pay structure and also in the extra facilities that you will be able to enjoy. Even after retirement at the age of 60, you will be eligible for getting a pension.
So, this exam needs a lot of preparation as the difficulty levels are going to be high. But when you start working in the right way, you will be able to become Block Development Officer in just a few attempts. There are many candidates who were able to crack it even in the first attempt as well. So, it all depends on your hard work and the time you spend on preparation.