If you are aspiring to take a master’s degree program outside India, then GRE is one the best ways. It is one of the most common exams accepted by almost all the English speaking nations in the world. GRE stands for Graduate Record Examination. Every year, almost 5,00,000 people from different countries of the world take up this test. Masters of Science or M.S. in the U.S. and MBA in the U.S. are some of the most common courses for which Indians take this, but the GRE score is accepted for almost all master’s degrees in most foreign countries. So, if you are planning to take up GRE this year or in the coming future, then here are some details for you:
Table of Contents
What is GRE Exam?
Like we already saw, GRE stands for Graduate Record Examination, and it is a very common exam for studying in foreign countries. The Educational Testing Service of ETS conducts this exam. There are more than 1000 test centres in which this exam is conducted every year. Most of the top-ranked universities globally, which is more than 1200 colleges and universities in the world, accept this score. Apart from just MBA and M.S. in foreign countries, GRE score can help get into Ph. D as well. Usually, this is a computer-based test, but there is also a computer-based test in places where online test centres are not available. This is conducted only twice a year and at the same time across the world.
There are two types of GRE conducted – GRE General Test and GRE Subject Test.
When it comes to GRE General, you will be able to get admission into an M.S. course in various courses in different colleges and universities in the world. The candidate will be evaluated on skills like verbal reasoning, quantitative ability and analytical writing. This exam is conducted throughout the year, and you can take it at any time of the year.
GRE Subject test is taken by those who want to get admission in a particular subject for specialization in a particular subject. The subjects can be like Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Biochemistry and other subjects. This exam is also conducted three times a year, April, September and October, and can be taken whenever you feel you are ready for it. It is only a paper-based test and has test centres in many places in the world.
Eligibility for GRE Exam
When it comes to any eligibility criteria for the GRE exam, there is never any specific qualification that is mentioned by the ETS. Anyone will be able to take up the GRE exam, irrespective of their qualification. But it is good to have at least graduation if you wish to pursue a master’s degree in other countries. One of the most important points that you need to remember is you will have to submit your Indian passport. This will be considered as I.D. proof, and a copy of it should be submitted at the centre of the examination. So, just make sure that you have a valid passport with you.
GRE Exam Syllabus
The syllabus is going to be different for the GRE General Test and GRE Subject-based test.
GRE General Test – Computer-based:
If you are giving GRE General Test, then the candidate will be assessed in three different aspects like GRE Quantitative reasoning, Verbal reasoning and analytical writing assessment. There will be two sections in each aspect. The total duration for the test is 3 hours and 45 minutes only.
- In GRE Analytical writing, there will be two different types of questions. One of them is to analyze an issue, and the other type is to analyze an argument. You will have to answer both sections in a one-hour duration.
- In GRE Quantitative reasoning, Data interpretation, problem solving and quantitative comparison, these are the three types of questions in this section. There will be 40 questions in total, and you will be given one hour and ten minutes to answer this section.
- In GRE Verbal reasoning, sentence equivalence, text completion and reading comprehension are the three types of questions that you need to answer. It also has 40 questions, and you will be given one hour for solving this section.
Out of the three sections, Quantitative reasoning is the easiest part, and that can help you score well. Your scorecard can be easily changed with just this section. The Verbal reasoning part is the trickiest one, and you need to be very careful when you are answering this section.
GRE General Test – Paper-based:
GRE General Test is conducted both computer-based and paper-based as well. We already discussed the computer-based test, but the paper-based test is different. The following is the format of the paper-based test:
- In GRE Analytical writing, there will be two different types of questions. One of them is to analyze an issue, and the other type is to analyze an argument. You have 30 minutes to write the test.
- In GRE Quantitative reasoning, you will have two sections. There will be 20 questions and 40 questions in total, and you will be given 30 minutes to answer each section.
- In GRE Verbal reasoning, sentence equivalence, you will have two sections. There will be 20 questions and 40 questions in total, and you will be given 30 minutes to answer each section.
GRE Subject Test – Paper-based:
The GRE Subject Test is conducted only paper-based, and you will be able to take up this test only three times a year. You will have to choose one subject from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Psychology, Biology and English Literature. It is going to a paper for two hours and 50 minutes. You can prepare for your exam from the material that is provided by ETS for each subject. That makes it quite easy for you to prepare for the exam.
Age Limit for GRE Exams
There is no specific age limit for taking up the GRE exam. Anyone of any age will be able to take the GRE test. So, you need not have to worry about your age if you wish to take up the GRE exam and enrol yourself in any master’s program in foreign countries. But just make sure that the college or university where you wish to get your admission allows your admission based on your age.
Attempt Limit for GRE Exam
When it comes to the number of attempts for the GRE exam, you can attempt this exam every 21 days. You can take five times in a consecutive twelve months span. But there is no limit to taking GRE in your lifetime. You can try it as many times as you wish and also at any age.
Fees for GRE Exams
Here are details of the fee for the GRE exam:
- For the GRE General Test, the fee is around $250, which is approximately Rs 18,200.
- If you are taking the GRE Subject Test, the fee is around $150, which is Rs 10,925.
This is just the fee for your GRE exam, but if you wish to reschedule your exam, then you will have to make an extra payment of $ 50 for rescheduling your exam, which is Rs 3,600. The reschedule or cancellation of the exam has to be done at least four days before the scheduled exam. Even if you wish to change the test centre, it is possible, but you will have to pay an extra amount for it. Center change can be done with a fee of $50, which is Rs 3,600.
The registration process of GRE Exams
When it comes to registration for the GRE Exam, it is a quite simple process, and above all, you have four different ways. So, you can choose a way that is comfortable for you. You can do it:
- Online from the ETS website: You just need to create your own login into the website and select the kind of GRE exam that you wish to give. Once you are done, you will be asked to select the exam centre near to you. After that, you will have to provide your academic details and proceed to payment.
- Through Phone: You have the Regional Registration Center in Gurgaon, Haryana. You will have to call 91-124-4147700 and make your registration. You can select the exam centre and payment the payment as per their instructions. This is one of the simple ways to book your GRE slot.
- Via Email
- Via Fax
For more details on the registration methods, you will have to check the ETS website and gather all the details. Any personal details that you are entering into the website while booking your GRE exam slot make sure that they are matching with the details that you have provided on your passport. Any mismatch will not be considered, and you may not be allowed to appear for the examination. You will have to read all the instructions carefully before you get started with the registration process.