Some of the states in India conduct a state-level exam to offer admission to government colleges. This is a way better method because it saves students from applying to different colleges and filling multiple forms. With the help of the KEAM exam, you can seek admission in engineering, architectural and medical courses. The exam is conducted by the Office of the Commissioner of Entrance Exam, and it is a government body. Another popular abbreviation of KEAM is CEE Kerala. So, this exam is basically for science students who are seeking admission to a government college. If you are also looking for admission in Kerala to a government college, then you should go through this article to learn more about KEAM Exam. So, go ahead and check out the details now.
Table of Contents
What is KEAM Exam in India?
As mentioned earlier, KEAM is a state-level exam, and the full form of KEAM is Kerala Engineering, Architectural& Medical Entrance Exam. The exam is held on an annual basis, and it helps you get admission to the government colleges in Kerala. The selection criteria for the government colleges in Kerala have equal weightage for 12th marks & the KEAM Exam. In such a case, it becomes essential to appear in the exam after the 12th.
In terms of pattern and syllabus, KEAM is very similar to the other national level exams. To help the students prepare, the government of Kerala also started a coaching program that will prepare them for the test. If you also wish to enrol in that training program, you can search more about PEECS. The total duration of this exam is 2.5 hours, and it is held annually. As per the latest stats, close to 2 Lakh students appear in the KEAM exam. At present, there are over 162 colleges that accept KEAM Score to offer admission.
Some of the courses that you can get admission in after appearing for the KEAM Exam are listed below
- Three year LLB
- Five year LLB
- BPharm (Lateral Entry)
- PG Ayurveda
- PG Homoeo
- PG Nursing
- PG Medical
- PG Dental
- PG Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Design
- PG Super Speciality
- PG Diploma in Clinical Child Development
- B.Sc. in Medical Laboratory
- PG Pharma
Eligibility Criteria for KEAM Exam
In this section, we are going to talk about the eligibility criteria associated with KEAM Exam. Check out the major points below.
- Nationality & Domicile
- The candidate should be Indian, or he should be a holder of an OCI Card or be a person of Indian Origin.
- The Keralite and Non-Keralite candidates can apply for admission, but You should note that both types of candidates would require to submit the required documents.
- Age Limit
- The candidate’s minimum age should be 17 years, and there is no limit to the maximum age. This means that you can give any number of attempts for the KEAM Exam 2021.
- Educational Qualification
- The notification for KEAM 2021 also defines the educational qualification. The candidate should have appeared in class 12th board from Kerala State Board or an equivalent state/national board.
- The candidate should have a minimum of 45% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Maths. The candidate should also have a minimum of 45% marks in biology if the candidate is applying for a medical course.
- If the candidate doesn’t have chemistry in class 12th, he should have biology, biotechnology or computer science. The same is applicable with Maths, too, in case the student is taking a medical course.
- Non-Keralite Category I
- The candidate is eligible if the candidate is not from Kerala; even then, he can appear in KEAM if he has completed class VII to Class 12th from Kerala.
- If the parents of the candidate are in the defence sector or work for India’s government and if they are posted in Kerala, then the candidate is also eligible to appear for KEAM Exam.`
- Non-Keralite Category II
- You may also get admission in this category if the Keralite and non-Keralite (Mentioned in the above two points) are not available for admission. In such a case, you will get an exception.
- Lastly, the candidate in this category would not be eligible for financial assistant or reservation under any category.
- Documents Required
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- ID establishing Relation with Parents & Their School Certificate.
- Candidate’s Passport or Parent’s passport showing birthplace as Kerala
- Certificate from the government stating the parents are serving in Kerala under the government of India.
- For Non-Keralite Student, you need to deposit the school certificate from class 8th to 12th showing the student is studying in India.
- You need to submit the certificate of residence attested by the village officer or Tahsildar.
- Qualifying Marks certificate.
KEAM Exam Syllabus & Pattern
In this section, we have listed some of the information about the exam syllabus and pattern.
- You need to submit the information about the subjects you had in class 12th while submitting the form. You also need to share information about course choice as well.
- For the engineering courses, the syllabus is designed from the 11th and 12th syllabus, and you would need to complete the same for medical or general law courses.
- Both the papers have MCQ questions, and each paper has 120 questions. You are awarded four marks for a correct answer, and one mark is deducted for an incorrect answer.
- The duration of each paper is 2 hour and 30 minutes. The test is based offline, and both exams are conducted on the same day.
- The candidate can check out more information about the syllabus and topics on the CEE website.
KEAM Exam Dates for 2021
For 2021, the notification was published on 01 June 2021, and it has all the information regarding the KEAM Exam Date 2021. The official website of the KEAM Exam is www.cee-kerala.org. We have also listed all the essential details in the pointers below.
- The registration window for KEAM is open from 1 June 2021 to 21 June 2021. If you haven’t registered for the KEAM Exam yet, you should hurry up and register before the due date.
- You will get a rectification window for the form after 21 June 2021. Still, it is better to review the application multiple times before submitting it so that you can avoid this altogether.
- The admit card will be made available on 14 June 2021, and the exam is presently scheduled for 24 June 2021. The slots for the exam are 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM for Physics & Chemistry and 2:30 PM to 5:00 PM for Mathematics.
- It is expected that the results will be announced by 15 September 2021, and then the counselling will be scheduled for the eligible students.
Fee for KEAM Exam
There is a fee associated with the KEAM examination. There is a relaxation in the fee amount as well. Below is the information about the same.
- If you are from the General category, then the fee for the exam is Rs 700.
- If you fall in the SC & ST category, and if your annual family income is below Rs 300, then the application fee would be Rs 300.
The Registration Process of KEAM Exam
By now, we are sure that you would have understood if you would like to appear for the KEAM Exam or not. If you would like to appear for the KEAM exam, you can follow the registration process, and we have documented that for you.
- The first step of registration is to visit the official website of the KEAM. The link to the website is cee-kerala.org.
- On the website, you will find an option to Apply Now. Click on the button, and the registration form will be displayed. You can now start filling the form with all the required details. You will also be asked to create a password, and you will be using that later to manage your form & other important things.
- It is also important to select the income details, reservation information, educational information and personal information to the most accurate levels. Once that has been done, you will be asked to upload the photograph. Ensure that the size of the passport photo doesn’t exceed 10 to 30 Kb, and it has a resolution of 150-pixel x 100 pixels.
- In the next step, you will have to pay the fee, and after the fee payment, the form will be finalized, and you will be able to take the printout, or you will be able to save the final copy of the KEAM Form.
- The registration is now complete, and you will be able to download the admit card as per the schedule that we have discussed in one of the sections of this article.