Horegallu, a stone resting place under a banyan tree, was a haven for weary travelers in Sudha Murthy’s grandfather’s village. It offered a chance to unload burdens, seek solace, and find renewed strength for the onward journey. In the concrete jungle of Sudha Murthy’s office, this role wasn’t played by a weathered stone bench, but by a remarkable woman named Ratna.
Ratna, a senior clerk with a permanent smile etched on her face, wasn’t just another colleague. She was a beacon of warmth and unwavering attention, a human horegallu where anxieties found sanctuary and troubles dissolved in the quiet wisdom of her listening ear. Her twenty-five years at the company weren’t marked by promotions or achievements, but by the indelible impact she left on countless individuals who had found solace in her presence.
In a Quick Glance:
- Always Smiling: Ratna’s perpetual smile wasn’t just a cosmetic trait; it was a manifestation of her inherent optimism and empathy. It drew people in, offering a promise of understanding and non-judgment.
- Masterful Listener: Ratna possessed the rare gift of genuine, active listening. She wouldn’t interrupt, judge, or offer unsolicited advice. She created a safe space where worries could be whispered and burdens shared without fear.
- Confidante without Judgment: Whether it was marital strife, financial worries, or career anxieties, Ratna became a repository of secrets, never betraying a trust or gossiping about another’s woes. Her discretion was as strong as her compassion.
- Infectious Cheerfulness: Even in the face of personal difficulties, Ratna maintained a buoyant spirit. Her laughter, like sunshine through a rainstorm, lifted moods and reminded everyone that hope lived, even in the midst of challenges.
- Simple Wisdom: Her words were like pebbles, smooth and worn, polished by experience. They carried simple truths, delivered with gentle humor and unpretentious understanding.
- Defender of the Downtrodden: Ratna couldn’t bear to see injustice or cruelty. She used her position and experience to defend the meek against workplace bullying or unfair treatment.
- Silent Social Worker: Though she never sought recognition, Ratna quietly went about doing good. She helped colleagues find jobs, connect with resources, and navigate bureaucratic mazes, her actions driven by a selfless desire to ease burdens and bring smiles.
- Unassuming Mentor: Young colleagues found in Ratna a patient guide and mentor. She shared her knowledge and experience without condescension, encouraging them to learn and grow.
- Embodiment of Humanity: In an often cutthroat professional landscape, Ratna offered a refreshing reminder of humanity. She valued kindness, empathy, and connection above ambition and success.
- The Heart of the Office: More than just a colleague, Ratna was the emotional anchor of the office. Her presence created a sense of community, reminding everyone that they weren’t just cogs in a machine, but individuals worthy of care and connection.
Ratna’s impact wasn’t measured in promotions or paychecks. It was etched in the grateful smiles that followed her down the hallways, the quiet tears of relief she had witnessed, and the countless lives she had touched with her gentle wisdom and unwavering empathy. She was the living embodiment of horegallu, a testament to the power of simply being present, offering a listening ear, and reminding everyone that they were not alone on their journey.
In a world that often prioritizes achievements and accolades, Ratna’s legacy was a poignant reminder that the most profound impact we can leave is not through the noise we make, but through the quiet echoes of kindness and compassion that resonate long after we’re gone. Her story is a gentle nudge to each of us, urging us to pause, listen, and become human horegallus in our own spheres, offering solace and reminding others that they are not alone on the journey.
Rahul Kumar is a passionate educator, writer, and subject matter expert in the field of education and professional development. As an author on CoursesXpert, Rahul Kumar’s articles cover a wide range of topics, from various courses, educational and career guidance.